Wednesday, October 4, 2017

IWSG: Overfilled Cabinets

It's Insecure Writer's Support Group day, a monthly event where authors in the blogosphere can share about insecurities and other stuff going on in their lives. I'm posting late Wednesday evening. First, I want to check in with my readers. How have you been feeling? I'm feeling overwhelmed and sad about troubling current events, with the most recent being the horrific and tragic incident in Las Vegas last weekend. My deepest sympathies go out to any of you who have been affected by any of these events in the past month.  

Today I don't have a writing insecurity. I just want to share some thoughts about cleaning out an overfilled cabinet. A few years ago, I subscribed to several magazines at a time. Sometime after the first three months of getting these magazines, I realized I didn't have time to read everything. I could've cancelled the subscriptions but never got around to doing it. So I kept the magazines stored away in a cabinet. Being environmentally conscious, the idea of just throwing the magazines away made me feel bad. (Think about all the trees that were cut down to produce these glossies!) But for the longest time, whenever I opened this cabinet, the magazines would start spilling out. Recently, I finally took a couple of hours to clean out the cabinet by dumping most of those magazines into the recycling bin. (Sorry, trees!) 

The cabinet is much neater now.  But it still fills up rather easily, as magazines can easily be replaced by other stuff.  I have to continue making the effort to clean out that space. 

Treating an overfilled cabinet can be an analogy for other things in our lives. 

What was your experience cleaning out an overfilled space? What magazines do you subscribe to or have subscribed to?

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We've since gone to e-magazines, which take up no space at all. But there are a lot of other things that clutter the closets and cupboards that we need to sort. Life has a way of cluttering I guess.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I don't have time to read magazines either so don't order any. And yes, there is a ton of possessions we should go through and get rid of to simplify life. I have been doing this in spurts since my husband died and have made an effort not to fill the space with more things I really don't need.

S.P. Bowers said...

Things do pile up. As our house is smaller now I try to be really aware of what I keep and why. Even so, the 'thrifty' side of me keeps hating waste. That's why I don't get magazines. No time to read, much regret about throwing them away.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I like flipping through magazines right before I go to sleep. Nothing too heavy or anything - lighter stories, recipes, things like that. :)

Pat Hatt said...

My ocd helped me to downsize away. Now the cats have more than I do lol

The Silver Fox said...

I haven't subscribed to anything in over thirty years, unless you count comic books in the '80s and '90s.

John Wiswell said...

Congratulations on conquering that cabinet! And one having a secure writing day, too.

Liz A. said...

Yes, be careful of cleaning out spaces as then they'll just get filled by other things ;)

Patsy said...

I used to subscribe to several different magazines, but as I travel quite a lot, often for months at a time that was getting pointless. Much of the content was out of date long before I saw it – and even then I didn't have the time or inclination to go through to see what was still of interest.

Jay Noel said...

I don't subscribe to magazine, but I'm the same way with business cards. I collect them at author events, cons, and of course, through the day job. I never refer back to them, yet I have them everywhere, including my car's cupholders!

Post a Comment