Wednesday, December 7, 2016

IWSG: In Five Years...

Today is IWSG day, a monthly event Alex Cavanaugh started to get writers sharing about their insecurities and other details about their lives. 

This month’s question: In terms of your writing career, where do you see yourself five years from now, and what’s your plan to get there?

Honestly, I don’t know where I see myself five years from now. Maybe I’d be a published author. Maybe I won’t be and will continue to brush off human irritants who say to me “You’re still not published yet?!” In five years, even if I’m not a published author, I’ll still be writing. I might have moved on from my current work-in-progress, a YA novel called KISS MY BUTTER. Either it will be published or I will have put it away. Nonetheless, my long-term plan is to continue writing, plotting and creating.

I do have more definitive plans for what I’d like to do in my writing career during the next five years but I won’t be sharing them here at this time.

Have you accomplished writing goals that you set for yourself five years ago?

11 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Don't worry, my plans aren't definite either.
Dig the title of your book!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, I have plans too but after two years of total change in my plans due to life changes I had no control over, I realize you can only plan so much.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I'm with you on continuing to create and to write, no matter what else happens.

Love that title! :)

Pat Hatt said...

Fun book title indeed. Yeah, screw the plans. Nothing definite at my sea. Could put out 1 more book or 50. Who knows how the wind blows.

Chrys Fey said...

As long as you're still writing, that's all that matters, but I have a feeling you'll be published, too. :)

Liz A. said...

I did not set any goals for myself five years ago. I hope you achieve all you wish to.

S.P. Bowers said...

Sometimes you just need to go with the flow and see where life takes you. It just might be better than anything you could plan.

Kelsie Engen said...

Good luck with your goals--even the unlisted ones. :-) Although I'm a goal-setter, I rarely think 5 or 10 years out, except abstractly!

The Silver Fox said...

Kiss My Butter? That's a catchy title. :)

Caitlin Lane said...

I feel the pain of the "still not published yet" comments! Ultimately though, I like your five-year plan. I think for writers especially, it's difficult to say for certain that "Within five years I'll be published and fabulously wealthy with a laundry list of bestsellers." In five years, I just know I'll be writing and moving on with it.

I *did* manage to hit a goal I set of having at least one short story published, with two this past year and another set to come out next year.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

In five years, our girls will be through -- or almost through -- undergraduate school. I don't know if they'll be independent or not, or wanting our help, but there is at least the possibility we will have an empty nest.

In that case, I'd like to travel a lot with my husband. I hope I have more books published by then, and I hope I'll still be making school visits and presentations -- and I really hope I find the mechanics of traveling less stressful by then.

Realistically, I know travel with never be relaxing. But I'd like to be less affected by it. :/

Post a Comment