Wednesday, November 2, 2016

IWSG: Daylight Savings

Today is IWSG day, a monthly event Alex Cavanaugh started to get writers sharing about their insecurities and other details about their lives. Again, I am late to post today but it’s still Wednesday here in California! First, let me get to this month’s IWSG question: What is your favorite aspect of being a writer? One of the many things I love about writing fiction is that I have a tangible place to bring the fruits of my imagination and creativity instead of just letting it all sit in my head. Honestly, it wouldn’t be healthy if I kept all that stuff inside.

This weekend marks the end of daylight savings. The good news is that I’ll get an extra hour on Sunday. I'm hoping to spend this once-a-year gift working on my novel. And if not, I might spend this time sleeping in. So yippee for that extra hour! That said, I’m not usually a big fan of the end of daylight savings. There’s something about shortened days and earlier nights that reinforces the notion that there isn’t enough time to do things I want to do, and that includes work on my novel-in-progress. It’s an unproven notion at that but I still find something a bit disheartening about days cut short. 

What are your plans for the extra hour on Sunday? Do you prefer longer days or longer nights?

15 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I hadn't really thought about the extra hour yet. I'm sure I'll be up early and trying to work. Enjoy writing or sleeping.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I usually enjoy an extra hour of sleep. I'll miss the light in the evenings, but not the going to work in the morning when it looks like midnight outside.

Pat Hatt said...

An extra hour of sleep sounds great. Yeah, getting the stuff out of ones head is good, I'd go crazier if I couldn't lol

Liz A. said...

On Sunday I'm doing the local farmers market, so it won't feel as %&^* early as it usually does.

Em-Musing said...

Great way to spend the extra hour. I don't get that here in Mexico. They don't do time changes. I kinda like that.

Crystal Collier said...

YES! Totally use it for writing! I don't work on Sundays, so I'll be using the time to hang out with my littles and remind them they do have a mommy around all the book release insanity.

The Silver Fox said...

No real plans for spending that extra hour. I think I'd have to say I like longer days, though. Fewer options exist in the dark.

S.P. Bowers said...

I don't like daylight savings time. I wish they would abolish it. I'll use that extra hour for sleep. I figure I need it after I lost it last spring. :)

Caitlin Lane said...

Enjoy your extra hour of writing time! My plans include...nothing! I live in Arizona, which doesn't observe daylight savings time. If you look at the little drop down menu under settings that certain websites have for time zones, you'll see there is an option for both Mountain Time and Mountain Time (Arizona). I love it!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Every time we change the clocks, no matter which way, my body clock gets all wonky. I do like have it lighter earlier, though. I'm more of a morning person. :)

Jeffrey Scott said...

I agree with you on both ends. I love having an outlet for my creativity. Can one imagine doing something you enjoy and keeping it all inside your head only? Sad indeed.
I also agree about hating the end of daylight savings. I wish it wouldn't end. I hate the shorter days and the darker nights. It's depressing and I don't seem to ever get enough done before I feel like retiring for the evening.

John Wiswell said...

Somehow I slept less than usual last night, even with the extra hour! But it let me spend a little more time with friends.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I enjoyed an extra hour of sleep this morning, but I find the whole time change thing twice a year to be a waste of energy and a pain in the rear. Decades ago, it may have made an impact on electricity use. I doubt it does now.

diedre Knight said...

We don't have Daylight Savings in my area, I've never understood the logic anyway. But why not treat yourself to an 'extra' hour whenever it feel right? Excuses aren't necessary when following your dream ;-)

Shannon Lawrence said...

I like the switch between long days and long nights. In winter, I enjoy the night. It's cold outside, anyway, and I tend to have more energy at night. In summer, I want all the light I can get! As for how I used the extra hour...I slept.

Post a Comment