Wednesday, May 4, 2016

IWSG: Traces of a Story

Today is IWSG day, a monthly event Alex Cavanaugh started to get writers sharing about their insecurities and other stuff going on in their lives.

While preparing for last month’s Blogging from A to Z Challenge, I sifted through the little pockets of memory in my head to retrieve certain stories I read during my youth.  Sometimes I remembered the title, but not the author. Easy, I could just look up the title online. Sometimes I remembered neither the title or the author, but just traces of a story. In such cases, there was not much I could do to locate the title and author.

One particular story (sans title and author in my head) that really intrigued me when I was a ‘tween is a MG novel of historical fiction. If I remember correctly, here are the traces of the story… An older woman, someone who isn’t so pleasant, is about to inherit a big fortune, as long as no one else steps forward as being one of the relations closer to the deceased than she. A younger woman comes forward. She claims to be the daughter of someone in the family- it was thought that she, as a child, had died in a plane crash many years ago. If this woman is who she says she is, she will receive the inheritance. DNA testing does not exist in this time period so there is no way to scientifically test the younger woman’s veracity. But this young woman is able to tell stories about the family that only the family members know, and she easily identifies family members in person and in photographs.

At the end of the story, the younger woman takes the inheritance. It’s also revealed that the younger woman was actually the nurse of a true relation who, on her deathbed, wanted to target the older woman who was about to take a fortune that should’ve belonged to her. So she coached her nurse on how to pose as the heiress by feeding her family stories and making her memorize people's faces in old photographs. 

Does this story sound familiar to anyone? If so, can you please remind me of the title and author?

Stay tuned for my Blogging from A to Z Challenge Reflections Post coming next week!

23 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Hmm, it doesn't sound familiar to me, but it does sound like a good story!

The Silver Fox said...

Sounds well worth reading, but I don't recognize it. Sorry.

Random Musings said...

I don't recognize it, but it sounds really good!
Debbie

Pat Hatt said...

Hmm, the cat is stumped on that one indeed. Google was no help? How rude.

Tamara Narayan said...

No, I'm not familiar with this one. I remember a story about a ghost of a girl and an owl statue hidden in a well. I'd love to track that one down.

M.J. Fifield said...

I don't know it either, but it does sound like something I'd love to read. Please let us know if you figure it out!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Sorry I can't help you with that book. It doesn't sound familiar.

I have the same problem with a book from my childhood. I swear the title had something like "The Blue Lady" or "The Green Lady" in it. There were a group of teens investigating a haunted house, but it turned out that The Blue Lady was actually a real girl hiding in passages behind the wall of the house. I can't recall why she was hiding, but I remember re-reading the book many times because I loved it so much.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No idea, but what a sneaky tale!

Deborah Osborne said...

Sounds like a great book. Tried googling it as it is one I'd really like to read. Can you remember what time period it was set in?

Crystal Collier said...

Don't you hate that? There are entire threads on Goodreads dedicated to searches like this. I have no idea what the book was, but it does sound good. I had some success on Goodreads tracking down titles for a few books. Best of luck!

Liz A. said...

No, it doesn't sound familiar. Perhaps you need to "let the universe" find the answer for you. You've put the question out there. Now, don't think about it. Let the answer find you.

diedre Knight said...

At first I thought the story was the one about Anna Anderson, thought to have been the Russian Grand Duchess Anastasia, but the ending is not the same. Good story, though;-)

N. R. Williams said...

Sorry, I've never read that story but it does sound intriguing. Good luck.
Nancy

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

I don't know what it is. But there is a community on LiveJournal called whatwasthatbook where people can post the vague details of books they (almost) remember, and other people can suggest what they think the book is. You'd be surprised how many books we have successfully identified from the slimmest of details!

Lexa Cain said...

That story doesn't ring a bell, but it sounds like a great premise for a novel! Congrats for completing the A-Z! :)

baili said...

sounds like an impressive story ,i would like to read it in case i find the book

S.P. Bowers said...

Sorry I can't help with the story, it doesn't sound familiar to me. I have a bunch of stories I would like to find again and read to my kids. I might need to try goodreads and see if I can locate them.

Suzanne Furness said...

Sorry, I don't know the story but it sounds like an exciting storyline. You'll have to let us know if you find the title.

Stephanie Faris said...

I don't remember that story--at first it was reminding me of the book Lace, which became a miniseries. "Which one of you ***** is my mother?" LOL. Nope, that one wasn't really middle grade. I hate when you know a story but not a title and even Google doesn't help.

Christine Rains said...

It doesn't sound familiar to me. Sorry I couldn't help out!

Lynda R Young said...

Doesn't sound familiar to me either.

Claire Annette said...

I know the feeling when you have that trace of a story and can't find the source. I read so much as a child that I have many of these plots in my head but can't remember the details. The story you describe sounds so interesting - It would make a good movie. I hope someone can help out with the title and author.

Jeffrey Scott said...

I don't recall ever hearing this story, but it sounds fascinating. What time period did this story take place?

Post a Comment