Monday, May 9, 2016

Blogging from A to Z Reflections

I’m pleased to have this nifty new badge on my blog announcing that I survived last month’s Blogging from A to Z ChallengeFor this week’s reflections post, participants are invited to share their thoughts about their experience. First, I want to thank all the A to Z volunteers who maintained the operations of last month’s challenge and made this challenge possible for the many people who participated. 

During the challenge, I enjoyed connecting with new bloggers and getting to know better the bloggers I’ve connected with before. I was also open to meeting bloggers whose blogs/challenge themes didn’t match mine. That way, I got to learn more about subjects I didn’t know a lot about before. (Of course, there were bloggers who never visited me back in spite of my repeated visits to their blog. But I prefer to be thankful for the people who did come by to show their support.) 

My own challenge theme was about authors whose stories I read when I was younger. While composing my posts, I reflected on why certain stories stuck with me. Many of these thoughts were shared in the notes after a story synopsis. I noticed how certain subjects also occurred more than once in the books I shared- first time love, prom horror, the Ozarks, gang life, the disappearance of children, bullying and rivalries, to name a few.   

I made the effort not to discuss movies or other mediums inspired by these stories, even when sometimes I really wanted to talk about the movie. For example, for my OUTSIDERS post, I kept thinking about how The Outsiders movie was one of my favorites back in the day. Coincidentally, Rob Lowe (who played Sodapop Curtis) was in a number of my favorite scenes in the movie...So anyway, discussing movies and discussing books are two different things. So for the purpose of this challenge, I stuck with just discussing books.

If you have done the Blogging from A to Z Challenge before, what were your thoughts about your experience? Have you noticed recurring subjects in books you like to read?

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

There were a lot who never returned comments. Their loss.
Not discussing movies would've been almost impossible for me.

Pat Hatt said...

Recurring subjects do seem to crop up from time to time. But open to most anything. Agreed, some just don't comment back, pffft to them and move on.

diedre Knight said...

Congratulations, Cynthia! You had a terrific theme that kept your readers coming back. There are recurring themes on my bookshelf such as boy meets girl, who killed who,and who's haunting us now? (grin) Isn't it remarkable how many different stories can express the same subject?

Sherry Ellis said...

I've heard a lot of people comment in their reflections that they didn't have a lot of people return comments. That's too bad. The whole fun of blogging is developing relationships with other bloggers.

D.G. Hudson said...

After four times of participating in the A to Z Challenge, I have found the follow count doesn't always increase that much, and some people never comment back. So I visit the blogs I am interested in and try to make it enjoyable. Recurring themes: Scotland, history based books, books on art, and Paris (lots of books on Paris).

Jeffrey Scott said...

So, I am not the only person who repeatedly visited certain blogs and yet they never bothered to visit back. How rude! But you probably realized that in my own reflections post. I know I was a little slow in getting back to you a few days, but I did try to make sure I visited every day. I do think I fell behind in this goal, so I do apologize. This was a great theme you had, even if many of the books you presented were unknown to me.
Once again, gratz on completing the challenge. I shall endeavour to keep in touch with your blog.

S.P. Bowers said...

I think we all have reoccurring themes because we have ideas and themes that have more meaning to us. I enjoyed your A-Z.

Liz A. said...

I think I respond to certain tropes, so I pick those books on purpose.

As for the not commenting back, I think that happened a lot. But just think about how many blogs you'd be following if everyone did comment back. (I shudder to think in my case.)

Stephanie Faris said...

It was SO cool seeing all those old books on your blog! Took me back to childhood, even though I didn't recognize many of the books. I read a lot of those teen books like the Sweet Dreams series and First Love from Silhouette.

Jo said...

Your books were interesting but of course, being from England originally, I was unfamiliar with most of them. Maybe I should do the A to Z on British children's lit!!! I have done several A to Z challenges now and always enjoyed them. Plus researching for different foods turns out to be very educational as well.

Sarah Zama said...

I've found your blog when the challenge was already underway, but I'm happy I did. I read some of the books you discussed when I was a teenager myself, but some others were completely new to me. It was sweet revisiting stories I hadn't thought about for so many years.

This was only my second challenge, so I don't really see anything recurring at the moment. I did enjoy it a lot in spite of how messy April was for me, and as many said in their Reflestion posts, I'm so sorry I didn't manage to comment on as many blgos as I'd hopped. Connecting si the best part of the challenge, in my opinion. I had planned to make it the main part of my challenge this year. Alas, life had different ideas.

But anyway, everything went on and went by and I can't complain :-)
It was great reading your posts!

Quanie Miller said...

Hi Cynthia! I'm glad to have found your blog! I actually went to college in the Bay Area and then lived there for 8 years:) I didn't do A-Z this year, but I did last year and I think I made it to the letter "J" if I'm not mistaken. And when I was younger, I loved reading books about witches (and now, I love writing about them!).

Blogoratti said...

Congrats and great thoughts indeed. Warm greetings!

Random Musings said...

I loved your theme this year - it was a mixture of reminiscing and new discoveries for me. Congrats on completing it :)
Debbie

Nick Wilford said...

I didn't take part this year, and kind of took a break from commenting during April too, but I've heard that many didn't return comments. I guess it might be newer bloggers wanting to get involved but not too up on the etiquette yet. Sounds like you had fun though!

Crystal Collier said...

What a fun way to walk through time and relive the past! I keep hearing that most people were disappointed by the lack of commenting. It seems strange to me that people think they should be visited and yet not go visiting. *shrugs* Weird.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I loved your contribution to the A-Z challenge. Maybe next year I will finally participate :)

Post a Comment