Wednesday, September 2, 2015

IWSG: Last Month's Ups and Downs

Today is IWSG day, a monthly event Alex Cavanaugh started. On the first Wednesday of the month, writers are invited to reveal their insecurities. Sometimes on this day we just fill the blogosphere in on what we’ve been up to. 

Yesterday, I was blitzed by dozens and dozens of writers. A big thanks to author DL Hammons, founder of Blog Blitz, a program where a writer gets selected to be surprised with visits from other writers. This week, DL selected me as the lucky writer. Thanks to everyone who had stopped by my blog! August had its ups and downs, and receiving a collective hug from other writers was quite comforting. 
  
Let’s start with the ups: Our family visited Kauai for a few days with friends, and it was an AWESOME trip...And recently, my son started at a new preschool and my daughter started first grade. Both seem to be adjusting well.

Now, a down: Shortly after we returned to California, a speeding car crashed into our minivan on the freeway. Thankfully, my husband and I were okay and our children weren’t in the vehicle when this happened. But it was still a scary experience. At the time, the driver of the speeding car admitted he was in a rush to get somewhere and he apologized for damaging our minivan. But later, he did a 180 with insurance and lied about what happened. As of now, we're still trying to sort things out with insurance. Argh!
  
And more downs: It just seems that in the last couple of weeks, more frustrating stuff have been piling up on me. All I’ll say is that I can do the right thing, and sometimes people would still let me down.

These downs have been distracting me from my writing. But I’m hopeful that September will bring better things, and that I can finally finish up my novel-in-progress.  

How are you doing?

20 comments:

Suzanne Furness said...

Glad the blitz helped give you a boast, always good to know there are folks around who care. Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you get things sorted soon.

Natalie Aguirre said...

So sorry about the accident. Glad no one was hurt. And sometimes life has those downs as well as up times. Hope September is better for you.

Mary Hill said...

Hi, looks like things are going to go up from here. I will pray for you that the accident is settled and everything works out. By the way, happy late Blitz day. I was at the doctor yesterday.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Glad to hear you and your husband are okay! How scary!

Here's hoping that September will you see you back on track and thriving! :)

Pat Hatt said...

Lying sobs when insurance is involved sure makes it even more of a headache. Glad you and your husband are alright though.

Mina Burrows said...

I have been there with the insurance mess. So sorry you're having to deal with that, but I'm glad you and your family are okay. Stick to your guns are doing what you think is right. I find it's the only way to find peace--which is what you need for writing, right?

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Oh no! I am so glad you weren't hurt in the accident! And I suppose the fact that he was driving recklessly to begin with was the first hint that he was going to be a jerk and lie about the cause of the accident. The two things go together. I'm surprised he admitted the truth at the time of the accident. He must have been shaken, but then his true personality reasserted itself.

I hope that the insurance issues are quickly resolved!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sorry about the speeder! What a jerk. Hope your story wins out.
Glad you had a good Blitz day.

Julie Flanders said...

I'm so sorry to read about the accident! I'm glad you weren't hurt and I just hope that you are able to get the insurance worked out now that the speeder is lying.
I'm so glad to meet you through the IWSG. Take care!

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Sorry to hear about your accident! Hope things are settling down, and that the memories of Kauai help with that. :-)

Patricia said...

I took a class by Laurie Schnebly where she helped me create a mini-outline of sorts for my next book which I promised myself I would start when my 2 kids went back to school in September. But I'm also telling myself I won't be able to do it AGAIN. It's that old insecurity going on which is probably why I joined this group! I'm so glad you and your husband are okay. I, too, live in California in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I know how scary it can be to drive around here! Good luck in your writing.

Medeia Sharif said...

I'm sorry about the accident and the other bad things. I'm glad the Blitz cheered you up and that you had a great trip.

Mandy Justin said...

So glad that you weren't hurt in the car wreck! The same exact thing happened to my dad last summer where the guy admitted his fault to the police officer then did a 180. Unfortunately the judge ruled that each person would be responsible for fixing his own car, so my dad sued. Hope the judge rules in your favor even though I know it's a pain to go through even if he does.

Hope the other frustrating things calm down for you for a bit soon. I too have been dealing with some frustrating things, so I know first hand how difficult it can make blog posting and posting for IWSG can be. Perhaps life will go back to normal soon and you'll begin to feel like yourself again. :)

S.P. Bowers said...

So sorry about the accident! I was in a little fender bender last fall. Even though no one was hurt it was a miserable experience. Good luck, I hope you get some more ups coming soon.

Claire Annette said...

Hi Cynthia - So glad you got blitzed! Hopefully lots more people will follow your blog posts. And sorry to hear about the accident - very scary and thankfully you are ok.
I know how hard it is to carve out writing time - hang in there!

J Lenni Dorner said...

Hope you had a great Blitz day. Sorry to hear about the crash. Don't let the world get you down- it'll get better.

John Wiswell said...

I'm so relieved you two are okay after that crash! That's awful, and worse that he'd lie about it afterwards. Hopefully the police report will quell any of his false claims, especially if his was the vehicle that struck yours.

Spacerguy said...

Happy belated Blitz day! Shocking news about the crash. There seems to be a trend people changing their minds, insurance companies back them up and your left whistling dixie. I'ts bound to all work out - stick to your story and witnesses.

DL Hammons said...

I'm glad the BLITZ could be a bright spot in the midst of some downers. Hope things will start looking up again for you soon! :)

Melissa Sugar said...

So sorry to hear about your tragedy. I'm new to your blog. Don't you just love getting blog blitzed. You get so many new followers and you also get really overwhelmed. When you catch up and get some time , I'd love for you to visit. No pressure. Nice connecting with you

Post a Comment