Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Once Upon a Time

It is IWSG day, a monthly event Alex Cavanaugh launched to get writers sharing about their insecurities and other things. My post is late, but it's still Wednesday!

I work in the local media. Recently, I was assigned to cover an art class taught by a professional artist. While sketching characters like Mickey Mouse and Bart Simpson with simple shapes (the circle, triangle, and square) and creating a clay bust for my character (a pig that ended up looking like a dog with devil horns= Devil Pig Dog), I couldn’t remember the last time I did art like this. I was quite rusty, but I enjoyed the class nonetheless.

Once upon a time, I wanted to be a professional artist- I wanted to write AND illustrate children's books, etc... In elementary school, I won poster contests. In junior high, I won more awards and was regarded the teacher's pet in my art classes. Outside of school, I spent weeks creating my own comic book; I spent a day binding all the pages together with a needle and thread. 

In high school, I took art classes as electives. Here, I wasn’t the student that teachers oohed and aahed over. I wasn’t winning contests anymore.

In college, I did a teeny tiny bit of art here and there. I got some compliments, some non-compliments too. By the time I was out of school, I'd stopped doing art altogether. 

Years ago, I was inspired to take up art again so I bought some paper, pencils, and a drawing board. That was around the time I had my second child. The drawing board, in mint condition, is still sitting in my garage.

But still….someday I’d like to take up art again.

What is/was your "Once upon a time" aspiration? Have you ever taken a long break from a hobby and then took it up again? Why did you take the break?

18 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You should try again. Never too late to relearn old skills.
I was a musician and wanted to be in a rock band. Of course, that never happened and I moved on from music. Picked up a guitar several years ago and taught myself how to play. Now I play in a Christian rock band. So, like I said, never too late!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Um, that would be writing. :)
And look, after taking it up after years of thinking it was a pointless hobby, I'm starting a second career at it -- in the year I turned an age that ends in a 0 that nobody likes very much.

Jay Noel said...

Funny, as my passion was art too. I won all kinds of painting/drawing contests, and my teachers were convinced I was going to go to art school. But I switched gears in high school and turned to reading and writing. I did get to paint huge murals in my kids' rooms when they were babies, and I was reminded how much I still love art.

Jenni Enzor said...

I have taken many breaks from writing, which is my most serious hobby. The others, like drawing and knitting, I'm pretty haphazard about, but would like to get back into.
You should go for it--being an artist and a writer is a huge bonus in the kidlit world!

Sher A. Hart said...

Ooh, art too! I wanted to be a fashion designer. Almost identical story except I won awards in high school. I never took art in college; it was all science and computer stuff. I stopped doing art entirely when my second son painted the carpet under the art table black with oil paint. Now I do a rare portrait sketch, but I don't want to illustrate my own picture book.

Margo Berendsen said...

Writing has always been my main "hobby", but I loved drawing and art when I was in school, too. I also loved to work with horses when I was younger and my daughters' recent interest in horses has brought that alive again. It's not easy balancing it all, but it's worth it.

Pat Hatt said...

I can't even draw stick people right haha so little chance of art for me

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Why not make "some day" today?! Start small - a quick sketch - nothing fancy. Remember what you used to love about the process, the result, etc. Maybe even get your kids into it, too, something you can all do together?

Julie Dao said...

Writing has always and forever been my dream, and it feels surreal that things are starting to come together at last! But I took a LOT of time off before all of this happened. (Notice how I didn't say "waste" time :D ) I think if you love something, you will always find a way to bring it back into your life. I'm so glad you're still thinking of doing that with your art!!!

Romance Reader said...

Writing stories from my head has been my hobby. I can't draw. I've been taking lots of workshops and courses.

Lynda R Young said...

I can relate to this post. I've always been creative, but the outlet for the creativity keeps changing over the years. I've accepted that's part of who I am and how i work, and just go with the flow ;)

John Wiswell said...

I also aspired to be an artist in high school, but I was terrible at it and improved far too slowly. Part of my move to full-time writing was simply that I had more ability for this craft than drawn art.

Stephanie Faris said...

There's no time like now! I wanted to be an actress in school...then I figured out I don't have the talent for it.

Claire Annette said...

Your post shows how encouragement can keep us going. I loved art but in school mine was never displayed - there were those students considered "the artists." I recently joined an art class at our local library and loved it. My real love is writing so that's what I make time for.

Vicki Tremper said...

I didn't want to be a professional musician, but music was always a big part of my life. Nowadays, it's hard to keep up with practicing, but I think it about it often and manage to play a couple of times a year. With my son about to start learning "my" instrument, maybe I'll play more often. No regrets!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I enjoy photography, but I've distanced myself from it a bit since I went mostly blind in one eye and got frustrated. I hope you get to enjoy creating art again!

S.P. Bowers said...

I used to want to be an artist, I never had any talent though. Not a bit. I can sew though. I have to make my pictures through quilting or crochet. I stopped a few years ago due to arthritis. I'm on some new medicine and am thinking of taking it up again. I hope you pick back up your paints. Don't lose your talents.

Romance Reader said...

Thanks for sharing this inspiring post. A great pick up to read early morning.

Post a Comment