Wednesday, March 4, 2015

IWSG: My Current Revisions

It's IWSG day.Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for organizing this monthly event where writers share about writerly insecurities and other things. Like last month's post, today's post is also up a teeny bit late today.

I didn't work on my YA novel for a few weeks. But just because I wasn't actively working on my novel, it didn't mean I wasn't thinking about my story. I'm revising a part of my story where a certain twist I threw into the story is rather predictable. So I've been brainstorming how to approach this plot point from different angles. I finally figured out a solution. 

This means I'd have to go back to the beginning and weave in additional scenes. I'd also need to consider how this revision will affect what happens in the rest of the story. 

While I'm excited that I found an alternate route to telling my story, the insecure writer inside me wonders when my story will ever see the light at the end of the tunnel with all my backtracking. But the optimist in me asks, how many opportunities do we have in life to undo a past action? Revising my fiction could be the closest I'd ever come to time travel.

How do you revise? What other ways are there to time travel?

12 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love this - "Revising my fiction could be the closest I'd ever come to time travel." Have faith in yourself and in your story. You can do this!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

How many opportunities to redo a past mistake? None. Hey, better to catch it now rather than later.
Yes, you can do it!

Natalie Aguirre said...

I know what you mean about the submissions. Sometimes they feel endless.

DL Hammons said...

Ripples caused by the changes like you described always scare me. So man little references that can be affected. I'm glad you found a solution, but don't envy you the revisions. :)

Pat Hatt said...

Good to catch things before it is done. Although tweaking can be a pain in the arse

Annalisa Crawford said...

You're just making the story the best it can be. If you didn't, you'd end up kicking yourself. Keep going - it's not backtracking, just writing.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I've been feeling guilty because I haven't made any progress on the book I'm outlining (so I can write a synopsis/proposal) in several days. But, like you, I'm cogitating on it in the back of my mind. Just because words aren't going down on paper doesn't mean "writing" isn't happening. Sometimes the story needs to develop in the back of the brain.

Claire Annette noland said...

Revision is hard for me. Sometimes I just want to start over on something new. I love your idea of looking at revision as a way to time travel and undo something. I'm going to revise with that idea in mind.

Toinette Thomas said...

I find that photo album are a great way to time travel. After going through one, you seem to drift in and out of the past for a few days. As for revising, I do it similar to you, but I usually spend so much time outling before I start, that I've already reworked many ideas from my original idea.

Julie Dao said...

I love the comparison of book-writing to time travel! It's amazing to feel that power of being able to change your character's past, present, and/or future with just a few keystrokes. :) I find that spending time to marinate ideas in your head is just as important as spending time to write.

Emily R. King said...

Ah, but if you know how to tell your story the way it was meant to be told, all that backtracking will mean you KNOW you're going in the right direction. That is priceless peace of mind!

Stephanie Faris said...

Some of our most important work is done when we're far away from our computers. We need time to think and recharge!

Post a Comment