Monday, September 22, 2014

Underrated Treasures Blogfest


Today I’m participating in Underrated Treasures Blogfest, hosted by Alex Cavanaugh. From Alex’s page:

Everyone has a favorite movie or band that no one else has ever heard about. For whatever reason, they remain undiscovered and underrated. Now is your chance to tell the world about this obscure treasure! On Monday, September 22, post about your favorite unknown –MOVIE – BAND/ARTIST – TV SHOW – BOOK. Post about one or all four – dealer’s choice! 


My picks for this blogfest aren't "unknown," but they just didn't get as much attention as I felt they deserved. 

MOVIE: View from the Top: A View from the Top received many unflattering reviews. The film is about a small-town girl (played by Gwyneth Paltrow) who aspires to be a flight attendant. I LOVED the movie. As an aspiring kidlit author, I could relate to the longing to achieve something that might not be as monumental as curing disease or walking on the moon, but I believe what I have to contribute is relevant, nonetheless. Dreams, big or small, count.

BAND/ARTIST: Pet Shop Boys’ version of “Where the Streets Have No Name”: I LOVE both Pet Shop Boys and U2, and both bands are definitely widely known. I like the Pet Shop Boys’ electronica rendition of “Where the Streets Have No Name” a teeny tiny bit more, although it had less air play than U2’s version. Having heard PSB’s version of the song a gazillion times through the years, the six seconds between 3:26 and 3:32 still make my heart race.  

TV SHOW: Beyond Reality: Raise your hand if you’ve heard of The X Files. The Twilight Zone. How about Beyond Reality? Got it. This  gone-waaay-too-soon show was about a pair of parapsychologists (one played by Shari Belafonte) who dealt with paranormal and sci-fi themed cases. The show aired for less than two years, and unfortunately, I can’t find much about it online. I remember watching the show alone as a kid and being comforted by the notion that the unknown, as shown by the show, doesn’t have to be scary.


BOOK: THE GIRL IN THE BOX by Ouida Sebestyen: When I was a ‘tween/early teen, the book that most of my girl peers raved about for its dark and disturbing content was GO ASK ALICE. While GAA stroked my 'tween curiosity about "older girl books" and it was groundbreaking for helping to steer YA lit toward a new horizon, it was THE GIRL IN THE BOX by Ouida Sebestyen that really creeped me out. The story about a girl dealing with typical teenage angst being kidnapped by a stranger, then locked in a dark room with a typewriter is what I consider dark and disturbing.  


Do any of these "treasures" ring a bell to you?

Image from epguides.com

26 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

No, sorry. I don't know any of them. But Beyond Reality sounds good.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I've never heard of that TV show or that book, but the book definitely sounds interesting...and like something I might need to look for now.... :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Tamara Narayan said...

I've hear of The Pet Shop Boys--West End Girls was one of my favorite songs back then, but I had no idea they covered U2's song. As for the TV show and the book? Nope, never heard of either.

Pat Hatt said...

First I've ever heard of Beyond Reality, sounds interesting indeed though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That might be a U2 song, but hearing the video leaves no doubt it's the Pet Shop Boys singing.
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

Jackie said...

I loved GAA, but haven't heard of The Girl in the Box. It sounds super creepy, so I'll need to check it out! :)

Mina Burrows said...

View from the Top sounds really good. I might check that out. Love PSB too. Nice choices.

Lisa said...

I liked the PSB's too. Not everything, but this is a cool rendition, you're right! I wish I could see Beyond Reality because it sounds right up my alley! Great choices!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I haven't heard of these, but The Girl in the Box sounds really creepy!

S. L. Hennessy said...

I didn't love View from the Top, but Girl in the Box was good. Nice choice.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've read Go Ask Alice. That book sounds much darker.

Birgit said...

I remember the movie coming out and thought it seemed a bit quirky which I like. I had no idea Pet Shop Boys did their own version of this U2 song so i will listen to it when i am home(at workshhhh:)) Never heard of that TV show nor the book

Margo Kelly said...

Great list. This blogfest is a blast. :)

Chrys Fey said...

I have heard of View from the Top, but I haven't watched it. I am adding The Girl in the Box to my TBR list! Thanks for sharing!

Clarissa Draper said...

I haven't heard of the movie but it looks so good.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I remember the movie but never saw it. I know the song but never heard of the TV show.

Catherine Stine said...

I do like Gwyneth Paltrow so I will eventually see View from the Top! And I got a hoot out of your blog title, being a fan of Orange is the New Black.

Mark Means said...

I used to watch "Beyond Reality" all the time. I had totally forgot about this show...thanks for the reminder! :)

Miranda Hardy said...

I haven't heard the Pet Shop Boys in a long time. Nice.

I've never seen that movie either. I need to check it out.

Sherry Ellis said...

I remember the Pet Shop Boys. Good pick!

Susanne Drazic said...

I've heard of the Pet Shop Boys. Haven't heard of the others. Thanks for sharing your picks for the Underrated Treasures Blogfest.

Loni Townsend said...

I've heard of the PSB, but I hadn't heard their version of the song. Interesting to compare it to the U2 version I recognize. Thanks for the contribution!

Shell Flower said...

I love U2 and the Petshop Boys, but haven't heard this cover. Awesome! Also, Girl in the Box looks great. I should have posted about a novel that really intrigued me as a young tween/teen with older sisters, Steffie Can't Come Out to Play. It's about a pretty girl that runs away to NYC and becomes a hooker. Talk about edgy in teh 80's!

mike spain said...

The Pet Shop Boys cover is very interesting, nice choices!

J. Lenni Dorner said...

The movie I saw.
The tv show sounds familiar, and the image you used looks like something I remember, but I can't put my finger on it. (How about Strange Luck, which had a little X-files tie in?)
The book sounds really interesting. I shall have to go to Amazon!

J. Lenni Dorner said...

*update*
Amazon only has some used copies...
Barnes and Noble also has some used copies.
Wow. Rare to find a book that you can't buy new. You REALLY found an underrated treasure here, didn't you? WTG

Post a Comment