Wednesday, August 6, 2014

IWSG: Notes from 2014 SCBWI Summer Conference

It's IWSG day. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for organizing this monthly event where writers share about their writerly insecurities....I'd just attended the 2014 SCBWI Summer Conference, from Friday, August 1st to Monday, August 4. I stayed an extra day for the optional Monday intensives. It was fun to be back at the Hyatt Regency, Los Angeles and to see familiar faces while forming new connections with others- writers and illustrators. This is my second year attending this conference, attended by kidlit folk from all over the country and all over the world.

I enjoyed the long weekend. Reflecting back on the conference is a bit like waking up from a sweet and unusual dream. Explaining unusual: I don't get to dream many dreams where I can document my activities with note taking and photos. I have my work cut out for me, and I hope my high from the conference would take me through those late-night writing jams when I'm feeling uncertain and insecure.

A few quotes from the speakers at the conference:
Megan McDonald quotes someone: "Many children's books are the working out of some childhood splinter." She adds: "Find your splinter."

"There's no such thing as writer's block. It's just that you're editing too early." - Stephen Chbosky

"Do not let anyone discourage you. If they do, get angry, not depressed." - Judy Blume (yes, it's THE Judy Blume!)

Have you gone to any conferences lately? 

11 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome you went to the conference. No, I haven't gone for awhile. Thanks for sharing the inspiring quotes.

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like the conference was just what you needed indeed

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

I haven't gone to a writing conference in awhile. I miss that energy!

Love the "splinter" quote and the one from Judy Blume. :)

Madeline @ The Shellshank Redemption

Dianne Salerni said...

I have never been to a conference. Ever. It is my goal to attend one in 2015. I just have to find the right one!

The Stephen Chbosky quote is especially helpful to me right now!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hope you keep the high of the conference! Seems a lot of you went. Several have posted about it today.

M Pax said...

The Judy? Cool. Sounds like a productive and inspiring conference.

Stephsco said...

I hear the SCBWI keynotes are really great. I missed seeing Judy Blume when she was in my area for the Tiger Eyes movie release. She is wonderful.

I attended a regional RWA conference this year and skipped the big national one. Though I might go to another regional one in Georgia since I just found out my manuscript finaled in their the unpublished Maggie awards! <(this is RWA speak for a well-known chapter contest).

I hope you take your renewed energy and put it into your story!

Liza said...

Great quotes, especially the one from Judy Blume!

Liza@MiddlePassages

Medeia Sharif said...

I'll go to the LA conference again one day. It is always an inspiring and educational time.

S.P. Bowers said...

Love those quotes! Thanks for sharing as I'm still a conference virgin. I'll get there someday...

Cherie Colyer said...

Hi Cynthia. Those are great quotes from the conference. Judy Blume is such a delight to hear speak.

Post a Comment