Wednesday, July 2, 2014

IWSG: Time Capsule Reflections

It's a little after 10 PM on the first Wednesday of July...so it's still Wednesday!...And it's still IWSG day. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for organizing this monthly event where writers share about their writerly insecurities and other stuff. This month, I'm not sharing an insecurity, but about something else that has been making me quietly thoughtful. 

In my neighborhood, there is a library that will be having its grand opening later this summer. People have been invited to submit to a time capsule that will be stored away in the library's tower. Among the items requested are family histories and photos. The time capsule will be opened in 50 years. 

I contributed to the time capsule on behalf of my family. The family history I wrote was fairly short, less than one page. But this is more than just a family history. It is a love letter from myself to my children, and possible grandchildren, to be unveiled half a century into the future. Although my husband and I tell our children we love them enough, maybe they'd need to hear it again in 50 years.

If I read the "love letter" to my toddler children now, they wouldn't get it. But perhaps 50 years down the road, if my children are around to see the time capsule open, I can only hope my words might offer them some comfort and validation, wherever they might be in their lives at that time. 

What would you put in a time capsule to be opened 50 years from now?

7 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, that's a really great idea. Be sure your kids know they need to be there.
I'd place my first generation iPad in the capsule so fifty years from now people could laugh at our crappy technology.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I'm not sure what I'd put in the capsule, but your post made me realize that my family is "opening a capsule" right now. In preparation for my parents' 50th Anniversary party, my husband is converting home movies (Super 8 and Regular 8) made by my grandfather to digital format. They will be shown at the party. Watching these movies that my grandfather made -- including my parents' wedding, 50 years ago -- is like opening a time capsule.

And I wonder if my kids and grandkids will have anything similar. We hardly ever take video of anything anymore. And if we do -- on a phone or ipad -- will that electronic file be preserved for 50 years? Will it even be readable in 50 years?

Pat Hatt said...

Sure they would appreciate it indeed. Not sure what I'd stick in it.

Annalisa Crawford said...

What a great project. Your letter sounds like the perfect offering. I was thinking I'd put in photos, but they can be easily accessed and wouldn't be a profound moment - your thoughts would be very interesting in 50 years time.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I would probably select some photos. I have enough to spare, that's for sure.

Medeia Sharif said...

That's so cool. I think I'd put a flash drive full of pictures and documents since I'd like to include many things in a small space.

Sherry Ellis said...

I like your idea of a letter to your children and grandchildren. I'd probably do the same, and add pictures and maybe newspaper articles of things that were going on in this time.

Post a Comment