Wednesday, June 4, 2014

IWSG: Post Election Thoughts

It's IWSG day. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for organizing this monthly event where writers share about their writerly insecurities and other stuff. Today, it's the "other stuff" I'll be sharing about...

Some primary elections around the country took place yesterday. Before sending out my ballot last week, I spent a good chunk of time studying up on candidates and issues. Last night, as the precincts were reporting their votes, I was pleased that voters shared my sentiments in some areas. But voters didn't share my perspective in all areas.

Sometimes the feeling that people don't see what I see or know what I know can be frustrating. 

That's another reason why I write. I want to show people what I see. I want to show them what I know. It's my way of "campaigning" for myself and the things I believe in, even if only a limited number of people will have access to the messages on my "campaign flyers."

Did you vote yesterday? How did it go for you?

9 comments:

Medeia Sharif said...

I feel the same way. I want people to see other perspectives and ways of thinking.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, it's a great way to express yourself and to get the reader thinking.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Campaigning for ourselves. I like that concept.

Pat Hatt said...

One way to get our thoughts out there indeed at our feed

S.P. Bowers said...

Campaigning for ourselves. What an interesting way of thinking about it. For me, I think I just want to get people thinking. Just get them to connect to something and maybe come out better for it.

Silvia Villalobos said...

I think many writers write out of frustration, especially when it comes to literary works. A writer I know likes to say: it doesn't matter who writes a country's laws so long as we write her stories.
Great post. It was nice visiting your blog.
Silvia @
SilviaWrites

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

The Pennsylvania primary was a couple of weeks ago. Yes, I voted. Most of the people I voted for didn't win.(A not uncommon experience for me!)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Like Jennifer, I live in Pennsylvania -- and in an area that is heavily Republican while I'm a Democrat. So the people I vote for rarely win. I have to admit, I don't research the candidates much. There's a really obnoxious fellow who lives down the road for me --- who opposes spending money in schools, advocates firing teachers and having larger class sizes, doesn't like to see the tax payers buy new computers and stuff. He puts up big signs on his property at every election telling everybody who drives by his house (it's in a prominent location) who he supports.

I just vote the opposite of him. Easy and done.

emaginette said...

Not allowed to vote in the USA, I'm Canadian-aye. :-)

Anna from Shout with Emaginette

Post a Comment