Monday, March 10, 2014

I'm Doing YA Buccaneers' Spring Writing Bootcamp

I first heard about the YA Buccaneers Spring Writing Bootcamp from author Stephanie Scott on Twitter. (More details if you click on the first link.) After doing Sara Biren's Writer Recharge, I decided to continue challenging myself while supporting other fellow writers in the Spring Writing Bootcamp. The Spring Writing Bootcamp goes from March through May. Here are my general goals, which I tweeted about over the weekend. I am elaborating on them here:

1. Finish up the rest of my WIP. I have another 10,000-15,000 words to go before I have a Crappy First Draft. 

2. Revise the Crappy First draft.

3. Stay healthy and sane. Back in November and December, I had back-to-back sinus infections. Really dreadful times. My late night writing jams were taking a toll on my health. So even though the only time I can currently work on my WIP uninterrupted is after the kids go to bed, I am making a point of going to sleep at a reasonable hour. 

About staying sane...I also don't want the pressure of having Goal # 1 and 2 make me too crazy. Years ago, I was working on a story toward a deadline for a contest. I was driving myself nuts because I was putting so much pressure on myself to finish the story and win the contest. Well, I finished the story but I didn't win the contest. Looking back, I feel silly that I'd pushed myself as hard as I had. So while I still endeavor to do my absolute best, I also try my best to respect my physical and emotional boundaries as well.

I look forward to connecting with other writers in the next few months. Sometimes I will update my progress here on this blog, and at other times, I will simply post on Twitter. On Twitter, I'm @CynthiaSociety.

What are your writing goals for the spring?

What time of the day or night do you write?

20 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

I can remember driving myself crazy about a contest too. Sounds like you've got some great goals. I'm just hoping to squeeze in some writing in the midst of everything else I have to do. So can't wait for warmer weather so I can start walking again. I'm really missing it.

Pat Hatt said...

Go a little crazy, it can be fun lol but yeah sleep we need too.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

You are so right regarding respecting your physical and emotional boundaries. If you're not healthy overall, you're going to struggle doing anything.

I'm working on Write 1 Sub 1 - the Monthly version - and getting my A-Z posts written. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good luck with the bootcamp. Use it to motivate but don't let it control you.

Stephanie Allen said...

I used to drive myself crazy back in college trying to get through all the work I had, so I've been making sure to be good about not doing that now that I'm done. It's a feeling I know, though :)

I tend to write best in the morning, before I'm completely drained from work and everything. By the end of the day, all I want to do is just sit and do nothing.

Bridgid Gallagher said...

Soooo I tried to leave a comment, but it disappeared. (Maybe you'll end up with two from me. If so - sorry!) ;)

I think that balancing writing goals with health (emotional and physical) is so, so important. When I'm not balanced, my writing suffers. I love that you've made this a part of your goals!

S.P. Bowers said...

All my writing time is when kids are sleeping, either nap time or after they go to bed. I don't stay up late (I NEED my sleep) So often I rely on serious organization to make the most of my short time. Or I end up wasting it and feel guilty.

Heidi said...

I totally agree. It's good to have goals, good to push yourself a bit, but staying healthy is all part of it. Sleep is a BIG deal when it comes to writing well, so I'm all for that.

And you can do the 10000-15000 words! I'm behind you all the way! Welcome to the team!

Julie Dao said...

Crappy first draft? I've got a few of those on my computer for sure! Good luck with your goals and remember to take care of yourself too!

Stephsco said...

I think contest goals can be a good motivator. You finished a manuscript, something a lot of people never do even when they say "they have a book in them." Many of us do--so write it! :)

Finishing that first draft is such a good feeling. I hope you keep truckin' toward your goals.

Sherry Ellis said...

Healthy and sane are good goals. I'm still trying to figure out how to achieve the latter. ;0)

Crystal Collier said...

Yes, stay healthy please? I'm totally a night writer. I've always wanted to be a morning writer, but the ideas just won't translate to a page in the morning. My goal for spring is to make my deadline with this edit, and get it off to the editor in time. *gulp*

Nicole said...

Good luck! Sounds like a great plan. I usually try to write in the evenings.

posse said...

Typically, I write first thing in the morning. Sometimes, I'll squeak out a page in the afternoon. And, I pretty much never write past 5pm. It's like my brain turns into a little gremlin once it gets dark.

Sending much support your way, Cynthia. Here's to a spring full of good health and completed first drafts!

John Wiswell said...

Back to back sinus infections would drive plenty of people batty! Goodness, I hope March and April treat you better. And godspeed on finishing your new work in progress.

I'm trying to wrap up the rough draft of a novel next week. After that, I'll probably take a break from it and polish any unsubmitted short stories I still have kicking around, and at the end of April I've got to talk to a producer about changes on a screenplay. Good and busy times!

Nick Wilford said...

Hope the bootcamp goes well. Absolutely right that you need to pay some attention to your health as well as writing. I hope to finish up my polishing of the novel I wrote for NaNo 2012 by the end of spring. But I'm taking it slow. Good luck on your goals!

Pk Hrezo said...

Great goals!

I like to write in the early morning, but will write whenever time allows for it. I have one too many projects right now, but hoping to finish at least one ms by summer!

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Sounds like a great bunch of goals. Good that you recognize the need for balance, too. Our bodies make us recognize that need when we try to ignore it! My goal is to just keep moving forward with current projects.

Misha Gericke said...

Good luck with bootcamp!

As for my spring (actually Fall down here) goals... It's actually just getting SOMETHING done while I sort out crap with my publishing house.

debi o'neille said...

So, have you started packing yet? Have a good time at the bootcamp.
Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

Post a Comment