Monday, February 10, 2014

#WriterRecharge Update/Some Recent Reads

Writer Recharge Update
I signed up for Writer Recharge, and my goal is to write/revise 10-15 chapters by the end of this month. So far, I've written/revised two chapters. 

Last week was the first time I looked at this story since December. I'd purposely wanted to take some time off from it so I could look at the story again with fresh eyes after a little break. I'm glad I did that because a number of things are now jumping out at me, begging to be fixed. 

How is your work coming along?

For all you Writer Recharge participants (and anyone else) who want to find me on Twitter, I'm @CynthiaSociety. 

Some Recent Reads
I'm not sharing all the books I've read recently, just some: 

1.RELISH by Lucy Knisley (First Second- Adult Non-fiction Graphic Novel) In this food memoir created by the daughter of a chef, the author/artist shares her experiences with culinary cuisine from locales such as Mexico, Japan, Europe, New York, and Chicago.    
2. 17 & GONE by Nova Ren Suma (Dutton-Young Adult) A 17 year-old girl has strange visions of other 17 year-old girls who have gone missing. 
3. THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Morgenstern (Doubleday- Adult Fiction) This historical fantasy novel takes the reader to the world of a circus, where the magic performed within is real, and two magicians who are in love are expected to fight to the death.
4. WONDER by R.J. Palacio (Alfred A. Knopf- Middle Grade) A fifth grade boy with a facial deformity is immersed into new peer relationships when he attends school for the first time. 
5. KIRA-KIRA by Cynthia Kadohata (Atheneum- Middle Grade) In this Newbery Award book, a Japanese American girl living in the 1950s watches her family strive for the American dream, all the while the girl's sister falls seriously ill.  
6. ALLEGIANT by Veronica Roth (Katherine Tegen- Young Adult) This is the third book in the DIVERGENT trilogy. In this story, a young girl has a difficult choice to make that will affect a lot of people. 
7. GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn (Crown- Adult Fiction) A man is under suspicion for murdering his wife when she goes missing; both the man's narrative and his wife's diaries are shared. 
8. GEEKS, GIRLS, AND SECRET IDENTITIES by Mike Jung (Arthur A. Levine-Middle Grade) A boy discovers the identity of his favorite superhero.  Check out my author interview here. 
9. UNTIL IT HURTS TO STOP by Jennifer Hubbard (Viking-Young Adult) A high school girl who was bullied in junior high experiences anxiety and self-doubt when her bully returns to town. Check out my author interview here. 
10. BORN WICKED by Jessica Spotswood (Putnam) A girl and her sisters, secretly witches, live in historic New England where witches are cruelly punished. 

What was the last book you read?

26 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Loved seeing what you've been reading. I just read Wonder not too long ago and really enjoyed it. And I read Alligiant, though I didn't love it. Good luck with your writing/revising goals. That's a lot to write.

Kim Smith said...

Just finished reading the prologue to Brian Rathbone's Call of the Herald- it was called Wayward Spirits.Enjoyable read! I haven't read any of the Divergent series and really want to. Sigh. So many books! So little time!

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Some good books you've got listed there! I recently read an ARC called THE WEIGHT OF BLOOD by Laura McHugh - really good and I'll be doing a review on Goodreads soon.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

From your list, I've read WONDER and GONE GIRL and loved them both.

The last book I read? Hmm, I'm trying to get through the second Game of Thrones book, but I've been too caught up trying to finish my WIP to get much reading in. The last book I finished was ALL THE TRUTH THAT'S IN ME -- which I compulsively could not stop reading till the end. It is getting rave reviews and all kinds of awards ... even though when I finished it, I felt there were some major gaping plot holes. The premise is brilliant -- and addressing the love interest in second person, also brilliant -- but I feel like the book went to print before it was done. Those plot holes *could have been* filled in. They just weren't. (My editor would never have let me get away with that!)

Pat Hatt said...

That is a good start indeed at your feed

Pk Hrezo said...

Wow lots of great books and links! Gone Girl was my fave read of last year, mainly for the writing alone.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wow, you've been busy reading!
Glad you can see what needs to be fixed now in your manuscript.

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Wow, sounds like lots of great books. You've been busy! The last book I read was Ignite Me (the final book in the Shatter Me trilogy.) Good luck with your revising!

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Wasn't 17 & Gone good?
And thanks again for the nod! :-)

Medeia Sharif said...

There are so many books here I'd love to read. I've read 17 & Gone and Wonder. I have many of the others.

Happy writing. I've been taking a horror MG to my crit group and should be done revising it soon.

S.P. Bowers said...

I'm in the middle of WONDER right now and am loving it. So well written.

Happy revising. I'm in the middle of revisions too. I'm hoped to be done with this pass by the end of the month but I got bogged down trying to flesh out the middle.

Vicki Tremper said...

Hey Cynthia! It's been a long time. I'll try to be a better blogging friend.

I'm rewriting a book after not looking at it for months, many months. That distance allowed me to see the problems and to come up with some drastic solutions.

I recently read Wonder (and read 17& Gone last year). So good!

Nicole said...

I've heard Night Circus and Wonder are both fantastic. I finished These Broken Stars earlier this month, and now I'm catching up on some Rick Riordan. :)

Paul R. Hewlett said...

I've never heard of #WriterRecharge. It sounds like a great program. I thinks stepping away from a project briefly is the best thing some times. I'm glad it's going well. Good luck!

Paul R. Hewlett

Alison Miller said...

In September, I pulled a story out of the drawer I hadn't looked at in over two years. And I still loved it. Good feeling! Stepping away (maybe not for two years!) can be a very good thing. Good luck with meeting your goals this week!

Colin Smith said...

Sounds like you're making good progress on Writer Recharge, Cynthia. That time away from your novel seems to have helped. All the best with your writing this coming week! :)

Sarah Chafin said...

Congrats on the progress! Time away really does help a lot. I have a novel that is waiting for me to get back to it. It has sat a bit longer than planned but I almost think that will be good. I should be more objective than I was when I was thinking and breathing this story :)

Ghenet Myrthil said...

I'm glad to hear you're making progress! It's definitely smart to take some away from your manuscript before revising.

Also, great book list! I've read a few on that list, but still need to read 17 & GONE, THE NIGHT CIRCUS, and WONDER.

kiperoo said...

I did the same with the ms I'm currently revising! Time off is so important. Glad you're seeing yours with fresh eyes now!

I loved some of the books on your recently-read list, esp. NIGHT CIRCUS and 17 & GONE. My most recent favorites were MIDWINTERBLOOD by Marcus Sedgewick and THE WICKED AND THE JUST by J. Anderson Coates.

Happy reading and writing!

Stephanie Faris said...

I LOVED Nova Ren Suma's Dani Noir. I was so impressed, I e-mailed her. She was new at the time, just one book, so she responded...and was very gracious. I made a mental note to keep watching for new books, but I forgot over the years. (It hasn't even been that many years, actually!) I'm off to download this book and all her others to my Kindle now.

posse said...

Just finished BATTLE BUNNY by Jon Scieszka and Mac Barnett. It's so awesome and I wish this book was around when I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I would've read it every single day.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Thanks for the list. I've only read two of them, so now I have some new books to check out. I just finished Eleanor and Park, which I loved <3

Weekend-Windup said...

Good luck for your writing!! Thanks for sharing the book list.
Happy Valentine day!!

Crystal Collier said...

These all look like great reads! I just finished My Blood Valentine, an anthology, and Pop Travel, and Hidden Magic, and I'm reading three others. My hubby jokes that he would go insane splitting his brain between multiple books, but I find it refreshing.

I'm wishing you the most productive month with you edits!

Sherry Ellis said...

It's a really good idea to take some time away from a manuscript. Coming back with fresh eyes, you get some good ideas and notice things you hadn't seen before.

Lynn Proctor said...

you have some great sounding reads here!

Post a Comment