Wednesday, December 4, 2013

IWSG: How did you do in NaNoWriMo?

It's IWSG Day. Thanks to Alex Cavanaugh for organizing this monthly event where writers share about their writerly insecurities. 

I did not do NaNoWriMo this year.  But I participated last year. I still remember those frantic nights back in November 2012 when I was madly pounding my keyboard to arrive at an "acceptable" word count so I can make 50,000 words before December 1st. I met the word count goal, but I still had and have a lot of work to do for that WIP.

For anyone who cares, here's how my NaNoWriMo project from last year has progressed:

-I revised the the first part of my story a number of times and added more to the original 50,000 words.  Now my WIP is a little over 60,000 words. But I still consider this all first-draft status. While the quantity might make you think that I'd written a novel, the truth is, I'd really just written 60,000 words that still require A LOT of revision.

-I brought the the first two chapters to the SCBWI conference in August.  Two editors gave me some feedback about what I can do to improve my story, as did a critique group I worked with at a day-long intensive workshop. 

-After the conference, I revised the beginning part of my story even more.

-I'm currently taking an online class with Mediabistro taught by an editor where I'm getting almost the first half of my WIP critiqued by her and my classmates. I'm learning so much from this class about writing and revision, plot and character development. 

So this is where I am now with my WIP. Just moving along, slowly but surely. 

How many of you did NaNoWriMO this year? How did it go for you?

For those of you who've done NaNoWriMO in a previous year, what is the status of your project? 

17 comments:

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

My IWSG post is about NaNo, too and the pressure I put on those NaNo drafts. I won this year, but the story is far from finished. That's what the new year is for. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's great you have the opportunity to get so much help with your manuscript! Better than going it alone and becoming frustrated.

Pat Hatt said...

Sounds like things are well in hand with last years nano in your land

Guilie Castillo said...

Ardent Wrimo here :) This was my 3rd year, all three won, although this year my goal was 100K instead of 50 -- the last two years I've ended up with half the story at 50K, so I thought this year I'd strive towards a whole novel :) Yes, those projects do require a huge amount of editing before they even come close to being ready for the kindest of public eyes (read: even my mother wouldn't get a peek). Sometimes I think it would be better to skip NaNo one year and just @#$% finish something for a change, but for me it works to get a month-long break from the endless revisions and rewrites and edits and re-edits (working on novel #1 still, a pre-NaNo-era project), muzzle that pesky Internal Editor, and just set my creativity free. Hope you join again next year!

Elsie Amata said...

I have never done it. I can't imagine writing that much in such a short time. It sounds like you had a good experience the first time. Especially with feedback.

Julie Flanders said...

I did NaNo last year too and loved it, but I wasn't up for it this year. Sounds like you've made a lot of great progress with your ms from last year. Nice to meet you through the IWSG! :)

worddreams said...

I've often wondered what happens to NaNoWriMo works after November. Facinating peek.

S.P. Bowers said...

Moving along, slowly but surely seems to be an accurate description of writing. :)

Kim Lajevardi said...

I didn't do NaNo, but I'm currently finishing a manuscript I've been working on for 2 1/2 years. It's been a beast, but progress is progress.

Great IWSG posting!

Julie Dao said...

Sounds like you've been very productive! Slow and steady is the way to go. Glad you got some good feedback from that conference. I did NaNoWriMo, but the book is still in the process of being completed, so I'm hoping to get that done this month!

Julie Luek said...

That's wonderful you're taking a class. Sometimes it's just so helpful to have a structured setting to learn new information.

John Wiswell said...

I never do NaNo, but wish the best on those who do. Instead I spent part of it working on shorts, and part of it finishing a screenplay for a company in Maine. My December goals are to finish and submit three short stories and one novelette. One down so far, three left to go!

David List said...

This Nano I've been madly trying to pitch the book that I outlined 2 Nano's ago! I never actually get any writing done for Nano so I've given up on that... But I do finished a mean outline! :)

Medeia Sharif said...

It's great that you're working on this project and that NaNo leads up to something. If I ever do NaNo, I'll have an outline first and then bring the work to my crit group and beta readers when it's all over.

Trisha F said...

I finished my story this year, and won as well, but for me the hard work tends to only come later when I have to get into revising my rough drafts. I don't have a problem spewing out bloated manuscripts that need heaps of work in revision. :P

Mike Louie said...

Thanks for your NaNo update, Cynthia!

With 22-mos old twins and corporate career life, I didn't have a chance to touch my novel from last year's NaNo's project. However, 2014 is looking very ripe for a revisit / revision. Looking forward to it!

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Slow but sure, that's how I work best as well! Congrats on all of your accomplishments, Cynthia! The media bistro class sounds awesome.

Post a Comment