Friday, August 30, 2013

WriteOnCon 2013

WriteOnCon 2013 came and went earlier this month. As always, the organizers of this FREE annual online writing conference did an EXCELLENT job organizing the two-day event.  It'd be hard to name all my favorite sessions. So I will just mention some of them here:

-Author Jean Reidy offered a useful checklist of questions for PB writers to consider before diving into a picture book writing project in Does Your Picture Book Premise Have Power? Jean generously offered a free PB critique to a winner who commented on her post. 150+ people, including myself, left a comment. I was over the moon when I learned that I WON THE CRITIQUE! I sooo look forward to polishing up a PB manuscript in the future for Jean to critique. 

-Author Ellen Oh addressed concerns writers may have about incorporating diversity into their work and offered some tips in Diversity in Writing.

-Author Dianne Salerni gave a witty commentary on the stages a writer can go through when they get challenging feedback in How to Handle Editorial Feedback. 

-Author Deborah Diesen gave a lesson on Rhythm and Rhyme.

-Author Lenore Appelhans talked about how writers can bring the reader closer to the character and plot by Adding Emotion to Your Writing. 

I didn't post in the forums or pitch in any of the live sessions this year. But I'm learning A LOT by visiting the live sessions where publishing professionals assessed writers' story ideas. Right now, I can't recommend any one session or forum because I haven't finished going through them all yet.  But so far, everything I've seen has been very enriching. If you want to know what agents and editors are looking for and how they process your story ideas, you should really check out the live sessions and forum comments posted on WriteOnCon. Because again, it's all FREE!

Did any of you participate in WriteOnCon? 

9 comments:

Ghadeer said...

I didn't know about this. Thank you for sharing those links: I particularly found 'Adding emotion to writing' useful.

S.P. Bowers said...

congrats on winning the crit! That's supper exciting. I'll have to make time to check it all out. Thanks for the links!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Thanks for the shout out, Cynthia!

I missed attending any of the sessions or visiting the feedback forums this year because I was on vacation with my family during the conference.

WriteOnCon is a wonderful, wonderful resource for writers all over the world, of all ages, and at any stage in their journey as a writer. Free, online ... it doesn't get any better than that!

Pat Hatt said...

Rhythm and rhyme sure isn't a crime

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

No I didn't, but everyone says there's a lot offered.

Pk Hrezo said...

Oh cool! Thanks for the links! This is the first year I havent attended. Just didn't have time. But they always do a great job!!

Paul R. Hewlett said...

I had every intention of visiting, but didn't make it. I saved the link, so I still hope to get over there and peruse all the material. Thanks for posting.

Paul R. Hewlett

Ruth Schiffmann said...

Congratulations on winning the critique, Cynthia! Very exciting =)

Gina C said...

Thanks so much for this recap! I haven't sifted through all the links, but you gave me a great place to start :)

Post a Comment