Saturday, April 27, 2013

World Building A to Z: X Marks the Spot

My theme for my blog this month is world building and setting.

Photo credit: Warner Bros. Pictures

X Marks the Spot: I watched The Goonies over and over again when I was a kid. I saw this movie so many times that as I type this post, I remember the kids stumbling across the treasure map in the attic, Mikey using his inhaler, Mouth speaking Spanish, Chunk screaming when he meets Sloth, and Data messing with his gadgets. I remember the thoughtful Mikey leaving part of the treasure for One Eyed Willie to show respect. I remember the movie launching to an upbeat orchestra score after the Fratellis escape from prison to it ending with Cyndi Lauper belting out "The Goonies R Good Enough" as the credits roll. 

I learn a lot about the world in a quest story by identifying what the adventurers are looking for, and why it is important that they find this. In The Goonies, the kids need to find One Eyed Willie's lost treasure to prevent the foreclosure of their parents' homes. These details offer clues about the kids' socioeconomic backgrounds, their affection for the Goon Docks, and how powerless the families living in the area are when an invader threatens to tear down their homes for a country club.

It's such a neat coincidence that I am writing about The Goonies because I am attending an author talk later today featuring Chris Columbus- writer, director, and producer. Projects Chris worked on have included writing the screenplay for The Goonies and producing/directing several of the Harry Potter movies. Recently, Chris came out with a MG book and he will be speaking at an event hosted by Hicklebee's, an awesome kidlit bookstore based in San Jose.  

Earlier this week, I contacted the bookstore and asked if I could interview Chris Columbus for this blog when I attend his talk. I will find out later today if I can make that happen...fingers crossed!

Off the top of my head, here are a few other examples of stories with quests: THE HOBBIT, HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS, Rick Riordan's THE LIGHTNING THIEF, John Stephen's THE EMERALD ATLAS,  Grace Lin's WHERE THE MOUNTAIN MEETS THE MOON, Adam Gidwitz's A TALE DARK & GRIMM, and the movies Stand By Me and Kung Fu Panda. Can you add some more names to this list?

What movie from your childhood did you watch over and over again?  

17 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

I've also watched that movie too many times. LOTR is a great quest story too. I guess in any story, the MC should be looking for something, but a physical quest is very exciting. Good luck getting that interview!

Banker Chick said...

I have really enjoyed your theme. I look forward to reading you often.
Katie atBankerchick Scratchings

Pat Hatt said...

Watched that one a ton too, adventures in babysitting was watched a ton as well by me. Be awesome if you get the interview.

myriteofpassage said...

I don't know what this says about me but one movie that stands out in my mind is Frankenstein. You've done a great job on A - Z; I've only discovered your blog now, so I'll be looking at the other entries. I hope you get your interview with Chris Columbus. -Belinda.

John Wiswell said...

You could paint a huge 'X' over Mount Doom in Lord of the Rings. Plenty of grand or simply fun stories have quests with arrival-based goals; the journey-novel is an archetype in modern Fantasy.

John at The Bathroom Monologues

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's cool you get to hear Columbus talk today! Take lots of notes. And pictures.

Michael Offutt, "Johnny on the Spot" said...

How about the quest for the one ring of Mordor? Tolkien started it all with "The Lord of the Rings."

As for movies from my childhood, I really don't watch any. If I had to pick one that I loved though, it would be E.T. But I really don't want to sit through the whole movie to see my favorite scene, which is when E.T. hugs Elliot and rubs his back. Elliot is wearing a red hoodie and E.T. is about to go home to his people, and he wanted Elliot to come with him.

Jay Noel said...

I saw Grease, Clash of the Titans, The Beastmaster, Star Wars, and The Princess Bride over and over again.

Ingrid Engen said...

I've always found the quest plot fun to read. A million things can be done with it, like LOTR, Harry Potter, The Odyssey, and the myth of King Arthur and the Holy Grail. Same plot, but vastly different stories. Thanks for the post!

#atozchallenge
tantusamorscribendi.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

Very cool about getting to see Chris Columbus and hear what he has to say. I love quests in books especially the Harry Potter books.

Kathy
http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

So love THE GOONIES! And STAND BY ME is one of my all time favorite movies.

Good luck with interview!

Alternative Foodie said...

I must have watched the Goonies too many times too. One day my son was movie surfing (on VOD channel) and the Goonies flashed a few second on our tv screen - I stopped him and told him I knew what movie it was. Clever choice for a treasure hunting movie ...

As for childhood movie that I watched over and over, then as a child, I don't have any. Born too early ;) Before home recording/player was available. But I do have childhood movies that are now classics and am watching them over and over - by a well known local film maker - the late P Ramli.

Jeff Hargett said...

ah yes, a classic movie indeed. Now I'm gonna have to dig up the old VHS...

Ghadeer said...

So exciting! I hope you get to interview him!

Empty Nest Insider said...

I'm gonna have to be on the lookout for The Goonies. I can't imagine why I never saw it with my kids. How exciting that you went to see Chris Columbus. I hope he had time for an interview. I'm a big fan, as he also directed Mrs. Doubtfire.

Julie

Lynda R Young said...

Oh, fingers and toes crossed!
And yes! I loved the Goonies!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for the comments and the movie recommendations!

Post a Comment