Saturday, April 20, 2013

World Building A to Z: Romance and Recreation

This month, I'm sharing my observations on world building and setting in a bunch of different stories. 

Romance: What are the norms of romance and courtship within a world? 

In the Shakespearean world of ROMEO AND JULIET, a boy can call for a girl outside her balcony at night. Depending on the suitor, I'd either find that sort of sweet or really creepy.

In the movie, The Lord of the Rings, Arwen gives away her pendant necklace to Aragorn. There is some debate online about whether Arwen is really giving away her immortality in that scene. Your thoughts, LOTR groupies?

In Amanda Hocking's SWITCHED, Wendy is a Trylle princess who is not allowed to hook up with any boy who could taint her royal bloodline. That means she can't be involved with Rhys, who's human, or Finn, who's a tracker. These rules make life hard for Wendy because Finn is her bodyguard and mentor, and the two are very attracted to each other. Sometimes the romantic interest and raging hormones are totally there, but rules, spoken or unspoken, might keep marked citizens from expressing their feelings for one another. Though sometimes rules get broken...  


Recreation:  What do people do for fun or sport? What do people's interests tell you about their world?

There's quiddich in HARRY POTTER, hunting in THE HUNGER GAMES, and battle simulations in ENDER'S GAME. 

In James Patterson's MIDDLE SCHOOL, THE WORST YEARS OF MY LIFE, Rafe entertains himself by embarking on a mission to break all the rules at his school. He sets off the campus fire alarm, misbehaves in class, and runs through school half-naked to earn "points." Rafe's mischievous behavior masks a boy who is struggling at school and at home.



What are other examples of romance or recreation in stories?

What is the most romantic thing someone has done for you, or vice versa? 

What do you do for fun when you're not writing or blogging?

12 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

One of the most romantic things my hubby does for me is doing the dishes or fixing my computer without being asked. It means he's paying attention, that he knows what I need and is willing to do it. That's romantic.

In my current novel the world is recovering from a very long war so there is no recreation at this point, just survival.

Pat Hatt said...

Romantic? What is that? Need a girlfriend first haha and other than writing? Hmm walking count?

John Wiswell said...

As a big Tolkien fan, I just didn't like Arwen being crowbarred into the films. Clearly her big romance works for others.

John at The Bathroom Monologues

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I took it that she was dedicating herself to him, which in turn implied she would forfeit her immortality.

Medeia Sharif said...

I enjoy seeing how romance and recreation are played out in different worlds.

Deb Betz said...

In the Bourne movies romance grew out of reliance on another person to complete missions. In Star Wars recreation could be Jedi light saber training with Yoda. Just saying...

www.wearinglemon.blogspot.com

Empty Nest Insider said...

There's always room for romance even in the most unlikely settings.


Julie

Ghadeer said...

I can think of the romance in "One Day" by David (?) Nicholls. It was the best romantic book I've read because it was so sweet and un-cheesy and realistic.

DL Hammons said...

The best of both worlds is when Romance and Recreation go hand in hand! That's how I met my wife! :)

Melanie Schulz said...

I once dated a football player that I hadn't seen in a while. He saw me in the stands and ran off the field mid play, all the way up the stands to kiss me. I was blown away. And yes, that will eventually make it into one of my books, don't quite know how, but it has to.

Sandy said...

The only one you listed I've watched is Romeo and Juliet...and so can't speak about the others. Had a romantic date years ago who packed a picnic, picked up before dawn so we could watch the sunrise together. Now...I'm not sure I'd want to get up that early, lol. A-Z

Cynthia said...

Thanks for commenting! I particularly enjoyed reading about your romantic experiences.

Post a Comment