Friday, April 19, 2013

World Building A to Z: Quotes

This month, I'm sharing stuff I've seen in a bunch of stories that shed light on world building and setting. 

Quotes: I often see author quotes floating around to motivate and inspire. Today I'm going to spotlight quotes found in stories shared by characters. The following quotes reveal an aspect about the world the character is a part of.

On why it's perfectly okay if no one knows who you are after you get published: “I am your number one fan.” -Annie Wilkes in MISERY by Stephen King

On war and combat: "I've seen so many young men over the years who think they're running at other men. They are not. They're running at me."  -Death in THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak

On the beginning of the end:  “That was when they suspended the Constitution. They said it would be temporary." -Offred in THE HANDMAID'S TALE by Margaret Atwood 

On standing up to condescending older siblings:  "I am not a pest." -Ramona to her sister Beezus in RAMONA THE PEST by Beverly Cleary

On recognizing there's such a thing as faking pretty: "I wasn't even one of the unpretty girls who passes as pretty through effort and association." -Lee in PREP by Curtis Sittenfeld

On doing the right thing versus the easy thing:  “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." 
-Dumbledore in HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS by J.K. Rowling

What are your favorite quotes in stories?

18 comments:

Ghadeer said...

I used to have this file where I'd copy any quotes I liked, but then I realized I can't catch up. There are just too many beautiful things that have been said to keep track of.

Anstice Potts said...

The last quote is one of my favourites. I like so many from Harry Potter, especially the following:

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

and

"..you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy..."

There are so many quotes in the works of Shakespeare, Oscar Wilde and Douglas Adams that I love too.

~Tizzy @Creative Therapy

Elsie Amata said...

That first quote rocks! I need to keep it in mind if I ever get published.

My favorite quote is kind of long. It's from Drizzt, "The Dark Elf"

"It is better, I think, to grab at the stars than to sit flustered because you know you cannot reach them. At least he who reaches will get a good stretch, a good view and perhaps even a low-hanging apple for his efforts."

Full of such optimism!!

Pat Hatt said...

There are so many, but I never memorize them, enjoy when I read them though.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Love the quotes from THE BOOK THIEF and HARRY POTTER. And the one from MISERY always gives me the chills. I also make a huge effort not to say that line when I meet authors. I go with "I'm a huge fan" or "I really enjoy your work. " :)

Banker Chick said...

"You pierce my soul." from Wentworth's letter to Anne, Persuasion, Jane Austen. Austen has made some wonderful quotes herself, as well.

'The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."

John Wiswell said...

Leading with the Misery quote was too funny! I still need to read that book.

John at The Bathroom Monologues

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That last one really rings true.

Mina Burrows said...

Dido on @Banker's comment. That letter is filled with so many beautiful quotes that it haunts me.

Bob Sanchez said...

Thanks for the good list of quotes. I remember the Kathy Bates line. Chilling!

Carol Kilgore said...

Great! Gotta love Ramona :)

Melanie Schulz said...

I have a Ramona and a Beezus, so that's a quote I hear everyday.

Miranda Hardy said...

Great quotes. Misery was a favorite of mine.

Nagzilla said...

One of my favorites from Through the Looking Glass- "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

Lynda R Young said...

Excellent quotes. In particular, I like the first one. It gave me a giggle.

petedenton said...

Great King quote. Be careful what you wish for :)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I love quotes! I use them quite a bit in my story.

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you'll go."
— Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"

Cynthia said...

Thanks for commenting, and for sharing your quotes!

Post a Comment