Thursday, March 21, 2013

Announcing: World Building A to Z

Thanks to Mina Lobo and David Macaulay for hosting The Big Reveal, a blog hop where participants of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge can announce their theme for next month. 

Last month, I posted a bunch of love themes and indicated that my postings hint at my theme.  What these songs all have in common is that they come from stories with rich settings and world building. 

The theme for my posts in April: World Building A to Z

I am not a veteran world builder. To decide how certain elements in the world for my WIP can be presented, I have to consider examples of how those elements have appeared in other stories I've read or seen, whether in a book, on TV, or in a movie. My posts will consist of me thinking aloud examples of world building and details from story settings.

Some of the points are things I've come up with on my own, and some of my points will be derived from other places, such as the resources I've listed in my post, Worldbuilding Resources.  

When people think of world building, they might assume that the genre of the story must be fantasy, science fiction, or have a historical context. But even contemporary fiction can come with unusual settings. So my posts would spotlight a variety of genres. 

At the end of the month, I will return to this post and list the topics I'd written about for World Building A to Z so world builders can come here and click on a topic that they want to read about without trying to sift through 26 days of posts. 

Are you participating in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge this year? What would you like to see in a guide about world building?

24 comments:

Elise Fallson said...

This is a really interesting and complex theme. I have so much to learn about world building. Looks like you'll have lots to talk about!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a great theme. I write fantasy and am always looking for tips on worldbuilding.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That will be very helpful.

Adriana Dascalu said...

you've got my interst! definitely back to learn more about it! see you at A to Z!

C.M.Brown said...

I like the sound of your theme. Always helpful to improve this skill.

Julie Dao said...

Cynthia, I love your theme! World-building is something I am also continually working on, since I like to write about fantasy worlds. I'll be keeping an eye on your posts and am sure I'll learn a lot!!

Jamie Dement (LadyJai) said...

How in the world am I going to visit everyone's cool themes AND still write?!! :)

Sounds like an awesome plan! Good luck! Good luck. This is my first year with the A to Z challenge, even though I've watched it grow over the last 3 years. I'm also taking part in the Reveal. I'm trying to share some positivity with my #WriteMotivation friends on Twitter (and to help keep me positive in the process)
Hope to see you around :)

Dani Jax said...

This will come in handy! Great idea! :)

Brinda said...

World-building is a terrific theme. I foresee that I'll find some useful info in your posts!

elizabethwatgibson said...

Cool idea and very useful.

Charity Bradford said...

World building is so important and this will be a great topic.

Jeremy [Retro-Z] said...

it's a strong topic... you have a great challenge a head...

Jeremy [Retro] #66
AtoZ Challenge Co-Host
Oh No, Let's Go... Crazy

David Macaulay said...

A lot of people seem to be doing imaginative things this year and you are one of them - thanks for taking part in the hop and the mention.

Yolanda Renee said...

I'm new to world building and just this year participated in Sharon Bayliss's World Building Challenge. I was a novice and learned a lot.

Looking forward to following your blog!

Christine Rains said...

That's a cool theme. Can't wait to read them!

Lynda R Young said...

Your theme for the A-Z is brilliant. I love worldbuilding.

Mina Lobo said...

I dig your unique A to Z theme!

Mark Means said...

World building is always interesting to me and I can't wait to see what you come up with in April.

A Daft Scots Lass said...

Brilliant! Looking forward to everyone's posts!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Great theme! Wish I could do the challenge but I can't. Will look forward to reading them!

Ashley Nixon said...

Awesome theme! I love world-building!

Stephen Tremp said...

I'm glad you are including a number of genres. Great idea! I need to work on my word building.

Jill Haugh said...

Yummy! I wish I was participating (writing A-Z) but am not. I'm in the home-stretch of a novel and can't let it go right now for my obesessive blogging. I look forward to reading your entries though. Just in time for the editing phase!
~Just Jill

Shannon Lawrence said...

I think this is a wonderful idea! World building can be so hard, yet so rewarding. Carol Berg, a Colorado author, is sort of our local master of world building. I'm glad you're addressing multiple genres, as well.

Shannon at The Warrior Muse

Post a Comment