Tuesday, January 1, 2013

IWSG: Why I Make New Year Resolutions

Happy New Year! I hope you all had an awesome holiday. I spent most of the end of December making merry with friends and family and growling "nom nom nom" over whatever I could sink my teeth into.

Tomorrow is IWSG day. I'm running this post a lil' earlier this time. A big thank you and a handful of dark chocolate fudge topped with bits of candy cane to Alex Cavanaugh for hosting this monthly event.

The topic of the hour: New Year resolutions. The idea of New Year resolutions has become a bit of a joke. When I ask people about what their New Year resolutions are, a common response I get is that they don't make New Year resolutions. The reasoning behind that is they don't want to make promises to themselves they'd most likely break.

A promise is a vow. I take promises I've made quite seriously. I regard New Year resolutions  more as considerations, along the vein of "I'll try my best to...."  So in my book, promises and resolutions are two different things.

Reflecting on ways to improve yourself and acting upon these whims can be a positive thing. But there's also an amount of insecurity that comes with confronting yourself about areas that can use improvement. That's possibly another reason why many people, including myself, don't always like to think about New Year resolutions.

That said, thinking about how you can take charge in certain areas of your life is a reminder of how you have some control over your circumstances.

With regard to my journey as a writer, I'm sharing what I'll try my best to do in 2013:
1. Finish and revise my NaNoWriMo novel. 
2. Begin another novel. 
3. Make time to read.
4. Tweet more frequently.
5. Do stuff outside of reading and writing.

How does fulfilling #5 help me in my writing journey? Having interests outside of reading and writing keeps my perspectives open and my mind fresh, and these are important qualities to have as a writer. I've debated whether I should elaborate some more on some of my other extracurricular activities, but perhaps I'll save that for another post on another day.

Do you make New Year resolutions? Why or why not? If you made resolutions for 2013, feel free to share some of them.

20 comments:

Ella said...

I love your list and I know you can do it! Me, I am working on what I have wanted most for a long time. I got detoured, but I think dabbling with many things also narrowed my focus~ :D

Happy New Year to you!!! I hope we can have a fabulous year~

Elsie The Writer said...

I love how your approaching your resolutions to yourself as you'll do your best instead of promises to yourself.

I totally agree with number five. We can't be all consumed with one thing in our life, no matter what it is, we have to have outlets from all things.

Great ISWG post! Thank you.

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, Cynthia,
Wishing you success with sticking to your goals. I haven't made more than one and the others are a continuation from 2012 as it pertains to my writing.

Ravena Guron said...

I never stick to New Years Resolutions, because mine are always too general (e.g. NO MORE PROCRASTINATION e.t.c) Yours sound lovely and specific, so good luck with them!

J. A. Bennett said...

I think it's good to have goals in mind, even if you don't accomplish them. It bothers me when people say they don't make resolutions, becasue I want to tell them in snarky voice "you don't want to accomplish anything with your life, huh?" But I'm much nicer than that so instead I keep my mouth shut and think, to each their own. Wonderful goals, good luck with all of them!

Christine Rains said...

Great way of approaching resolutions. I agree it's very important to do things outside of writing. Time to refresh the mind and inspire your muse. Have a great new year!

Lynda R Young said...

All the best for your goals in 2013. They are great goals and I hope you achieve all of them.

Mina Burrows said...

Those are some great goals. I haven't really created any yet. Damn. Where's my pen?

Kari Marie White | Writing By Heart said...

I love goal #5. It's so easy to forget we need to LIVE life so we can write about it. I haven't resolved anything in January for a couple of years, but this year I've got an itch to do it. Good luck with yours!

Elise Fallson said...

Still need to get on this stat, but LOVE your number 5 too. Sometimes we forget that doing things outside reading and writing can enrich our own writing.

Cherie Colyer said...

All your goals are great goals, but I especially like #5. It's very easy to get wrapped up in writing and forget to explore the world.

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions, but I always set goals for myself. I listed mine on my blog (thanks for stopping by btw). To quickly recap for those who missed my post, I'm going to try to spin insecurities into something positive and avoid negativity as best as I can.

Happy New Year :)

Jessica Salyer said...

Great goals. I try to not make resolutions, because I found I never kept them. This year I made goals instead. Good luck with yours.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The fifth item keeps you sane!
Sorry it's taken me so long to visit. Thanks for participating in the IWSG posting and for visiting so many of the others - I've seen your icon everywhere the past two days.

Nicole said...

I get why #5 is so important! It's time for a breath and a fresh perspective. #3 does that for me, too. Gotta try to find more time for that in 2013. ;)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I don't make resolutions, I just steal them from others. I like all of yours.

Cynthia said...

Everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts and giving your support. I hope 2013 will be a good year for you all.

M.K. Louie said...

Love your resolutions. More specific than mine but I'm trying to keep flexible with my goals since you never know what life is going to throw at you.

One article that got me really thinking was this one from the Harvard Business Review, called "Consider Not Setting Goals in 2013".

http://blogs.hbr.org/bregman/2012/12/consider-not-setting-goals-in.html

In the end, we do what we must to get where we need to go. And with that in mind, I'll be cheering you on!

Happy new year :)

Ciara said...

I think you've got some great resolutions. Doing something outside of writing is always a great idea.

DL Hammons said...

I don't make New Year resolutions, but I do take stock of where I am and where I should be heading.

Good luck to you in 2013! :)

randi lee said...

Those are some good goals you have there. Good luck!!

Post a Comment