Wednesday, November 7, 2012

IWSG: Why I'm Trying NaNoWriMo This Year


It's IWSG day. Thanks, Alex. NaNoWriMo has always been something I wanted to try...but only in the distant future. For the past few years, when November arrives on the horizon, there'd be a reason why I would decide to refrain from participating (e.g. work, morning sickness-they ought to call it 24/7 sickness, mommy duties, revision on my other WIP, etc...) So every year, I'd tell myself, I can't do NaNoWriMo this year, but maybe next year.

I gave birth to another child in May. My schedule isn't going to magically free up anytime soon. 

This year, I decided to give NaNo a try.  I've been staying up late planning my novel since the end of September. So I am pretty optimistic about where I'm headed but there are times when this negative voice in the back of my head whispers to me, There is no way you could write a novel in a month, not even a really crappy one. 

NaNoWriMo participants, have you ever felt that way? How are your novels coming along?

For those who have never tried NaNoWriMo before, what has held you back from doing this?

8 comments:

jaybird said...

I didn't sign up for NaNo because I don't like feeling pressured while I write. We just got hit by Hurricane Sandy, and life is cra-zy here on the Jersey Shore. I know, for this year, it's a good thing I didn't commit myself. That having been said, I am supporting everyone that did sign up the best I can. I give you all mad credit for doing it. And maybe, next year will be my year for NaNo.

Lily Cate said...

I like using the NaNo technique on any first draft - just get the words together in one place, and then clean it up and make it pretty :)
In past years, I've had revisions that were taking all of my spare brain cells to finish. But this year, I had an idea I really, really love and that I've been waiting to get to work on for quite a while, and so I've decided to jump in for the first time.

And jaybird - hope things get back to normal for everyone out East soon!

Carrie-Anne said...

I don't do NaNo because I believe a writer's focus should be on telling stories, not counting words or feeling pressured to finish a book in a certain timeframe. The books I tend to write also are usually WAY above just 50,000 words. That seems more like a novella length, or the length of a book for younger readers. I'd get too stressed-out if I had to worry about keeping track of words written in a day or hour.

Tara Tyler said...

i did camp nano and loved it! as long as you're prepared and just keep writing, you'll do it! smack that voice of negativity! do i need to help with that? love to!

Cynthia said...

Jaybird: I'm so sorry to hear that Sandy affected you. Please stay well!

Lily: Cool that you're trying this out too!

Carrie-Anne: The word count aspect of NaNo can be a little stress-inducing, but it does help keep me on my feet.

Tara: If I survive NaNo, I might be interested in going for Camp NaNo someday too!

Livia said...

Just keep writing! I'm hesitant to do it, too despite I don't write fiction AT ALL. I would just love to take a plunge at it one of these days but I think I need some hefty courage to do so.

Believe in yourself, Cynthia! That's all I'm gonna say. 'Nuff said :)

Lynn Proctor said...

yay--you can do it---i secretly wish i had tried!

Nicole said...

Honestly, I've never done NaNo because that's not my writing style. It would drive me nuts to cram out writing just to reach a word count...but I do like the idea of setting NaNo-like goals. :)

Post a Comment