Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Calm Before a Storm Called NaNoWriMo

Right now, it's past 2 a.m. in the morning.  I'm up late (or early, depending on how you look at it) because I've been busy with NaNoPlanMo. For the last month or so, I've been prepping for the novel I'm going to begin writing in November. Not only have I been busy developing characters and plotlines, I've also been conducting some hands-on projects because there will be a how-to component in my story as well. To fulfill the requirements of NaNoPlanMo, I need to clock in 30 hours of planning. I'm over the 25 hour mark already, and to be honest, when I pass 30 hours, I could probably put in an extra 10-20 hours on top of that.  

I like to plan and think about stuff, and so NaNoPlanMo has actually been kind of fun. I'm also thankful that this program exists to keep me on track. But something tells me that in spite of my planning, I will still encounter challenges during NaNoWriMo. 

Yawn. I'm going to bed now. My spidey sense tells me I'd be writing past midnight for a number of nights during NaNoWriMo. 

Who's doing NaNoWriMo? You can add me as a buddy if you are.  My profile name is: CynthiaWrites. (There is no space between the two words.)

What time is the latest you've ever stayed up to work on or plan a novel? If you're doing NaNoWriMo, what do you anticipate your average bedtime to be in November?

Update 11/1/12: Back when I wrote this post, I hadn't heard anything about Hurricane Sandy yet. Otherwise, I would've given this post a different title. 

11 comments:

Laura Marcella said...

I love planning, too! There's so much to figure out and learn about your story and characters. It's fun! And then in the writing you discover even more you couldn't have anticipated. Love that part of the process!

I'll add you as a buddy so we can cheer each other on! My name is Sunshine21

Lynn Proctor said...

i was up last night at 2 also---different reasons--i have been known to get up and write in the middle of the night, occasionally---good luck:)

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Hahaha, last night. If I was blog hopping, instead of writing, I would have seen this when you posted it. Good luck on NaNoWriMo; love the idea of NaNoPlanMo.

J.L. Campbell said...

Cynthia, sounds like you're on the way to a good NaNo month. Planning beforehand helps a LOT with NaNo. I'd love to, but can't submit to the madness this year.

Christine Rains said...

Wow! That's a lot of planning. Good for you! I'll be doing NaNo too, but all I've done for planning is create a few character profiles. I'm a pantser and I'll just fly with nothing except an idea. I hope I won't lose too much sleep or else I'll be dead on my feet when I need to be chasing after my toddler!

Kelley Lynn said...

I Love NaNo! I'm definitely doing it. I've stayed up till the wee hours in the morning writing. Hey, if the juices are flowing who am I to stop them :)

Good luck!

Lynn(e) Schmidt said...

I'm doing NaNo, hadn't heard of PlanNo, but that sounds awesome! Wish I'd known. In the meantime, I've been reading as much as possible (you know, research, what do I like about this writing? etc) and then trying to listen to the voices in my head. They're telling me to eat people, so maybe I have a zombie on my hands?

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm impressed. I'm expecting to put together my NaNoWriMo plan on October 30-31.

I'm going to have a rough time this November as I'll only have 22 days to write because of travel and guests. I'm not sure I'll make it to 50,000 words, but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Cynthia said...

Laura: Yay, we're buddies now!

Lynn: I bet you don't forget your ideas if you get up and write them down.

Jenn: Thanks for the support!

J.L.: The planning does help me feel better prepared.

Christine: We writer moms do have a lot on our plates.

Kelley: We gotta let them juices flow!

Lynn(e): Perhaps a paranormal story?

Patricia: I'm just going to try my best too.

tfwalsh said...

I'm in this year too... just send you a buddy request on nanowrimo.org:) Am nervous, but excited about it.

Gina C said...

sounds like a great plan! i was going to try it this year, but life got too nutty.

best of luck tomorrow and all through november! i'll be rooting for you :)

Post a Comment