Monday, October 22, 2012

"Letting Go" Bloghop

A thank you and a mug of soothing hot chocolate to Kyra Lennon of Write Here,Write Now for hosting the If I Let You Go Bloghop. Isn't the image for her new book's cover on the right just so pretty? From Kyra's post: Was there a time when you had to let go of someone or something? How did it make you feel? How did you handle it? The only rules are - obviously - it has to be related to letting go, and please keep it to a maximum of 500 words.

Although we have the option to write flash fiction, I am going to share a true story...

The Star I Threw Away

Once during my kindergarten's after school program, I decided to draw a star. This was not the average star the typical kindergarten kid would make where you draw a bunch of intersecting lines so you're left with a pentagon in the middle and five triangles at each tip. No, I wanted to draw like the artists whose work I saw in the picture books and classroom posters. 

So I took a crayon and drew the outline of a star, a star without the crossing hokey lines that shout "I'm an amateur!" I thought it looked just alright.  Just alright wasn't good enough. Even back then, I was a little perfectionist. So I tossed my sheet of paper with the star onto the scrap pile. 

I grabbed another piece of paper and started drawing something else. I don't remember what I was working on, but what I do remember was one of the aides coming by to compliment a girl near me on what a lovely star she drew.  I glanced over, and saw that one of the girls had taken my picture of the star out of the scrap pile and started scribbling on it.  And now the aide was oohing and aahhing over the star I'd drawn. I suppose the girl could've said she'd merely fished my drawing out of the scrap pile. But she didn't. 

Two things were stewing inside me: I regretted tossing my star. And two- I wanted to speak up for myself, to announce it was I who had drawn the star. But I didn't. 

I let that one go. 

I comforted myself with the thought that there will be other stars, perhaps entire universes and galaxies, for me to make.

25 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Aww, that's such a sweet story! I love the innocence, and that you chose to let it go, even when you wanted to speak up. :D

Thank you so much for joining in with the blophop!

Scribbles From Jenn said...

Your story epitomizes one man's trash...

Yes, you will make many more stars, universes, and galaxies!

Jessica L. Foster said...

Oh that is a very cute story. Also, I love the title of your blog. Very cool.

Jackie said...

What a great take on letting go! Something similar happened to me in eight grade. I, too, sat silent and let this girl take the credit, but knew it was for the best. Thanks for sharing your story!

jaybird said...

You were the star, all along. Nice entry.

Sally said...

What a great story.

David P. King said...

Wow! The fact that this was a true story makes it all the more awesome. Thanks for sharing that. :)

Kelley Lynn said...

Very well done. Really enjoyed this one.

M Pax said...

Well written and great story.

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your sweet story.

Christine Rains said...

Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Tammy Theriault said...

u bit your tongue...sometimes, it just isn't worth it. good blog

T.J. said...

Great story :)

Trisha said...

I will never understand people who will gladly steal other people's stars and take credit for them! ;)

Tara Tyler said...

some people are star makers and others are star stealers, we know who we are!
great story,

Madeleine Sara said...

Well you are a star for drawing something that received such praise. It might have been worse if you had missed hearing the praise for your star as well! ;O)

Suzanne Furness said...

Oh what a cheeky star stealer! Good juck and nice to meet you on this bloghop.

Nicki Elson said...

It was still your star no matter what and I think it's pretty cool that even at that young age you were able to exercise such wise self control.

michelle said...

Your admirable restraint at such a tender age was an indication of your unfolding character... a star-in-the-making...
I'm checking in from the bloghop.

A.J. Locke said...

Very cute story, loved the note it ended on =)

Cynthia said...

Thanks for your kind comments about my story, everyone!

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

That girl probably never forgot that. Bet she felt guilty later, the more she thought about. You let it go, and wisely so, but I hope it ended up making the other girl stop and think. Hopefully it didn't sit right with her and she never did that again

Michael Pierce said...

Great story! Never let a good star go to waste. :)

Donna Hole said...

The phrase "on person's trash is another's treasure" come mind. I'm sure the star your drew far outshone the one you tossed.

I did that one time; tossed a story I was writing because my Mom made fun of it. My older sister took it out of the trash and turned it in for her own and got an A. I was upset for a long time. One day (years later) I was thinking back on that incident while having a heart to heart with my sister and I started to bring it up.

But I realized it was an A for her because she never poured her heart in any creative writing. So, for her it was an A; but because my teachers were used to me writing high quality work and the same story with my name on it may have only gathered a C. My sister needed the attention at that time. I didn't.

Like you, I let it go. I felt better for it too.

.....dhole

Nick Wilford said...

It sounds like you had a very wise head on your young shoulders. Sometimes we need to know when it's better to say nothing. Nice story!

Post a Comment