Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Did I Notice Your Book?





Thanks, Alex J. Cavanaugh and Ciara Knight of Defy the Dark for hosting this blogfest.  Today, we're supposed to write a post about a book we've "noticed." Here are the rules from Alex's page:
You can choose a book that you’ve read, something you saw on a blog or social media site, Goodreads, or a sales website. Anything that caught your eye because of a great cover, blurb or reviews, but DON’T tell the author that their book has been noticed. Instead, shout out on social media sites, and encourage others to do the same, until the author finds his/her book. Leave a blog comment at Ninja Captain Alex or Ciara Knight when the author finds their book. Only two rules: 1) You can’t post about your own book.          2) The book shouldn’t be on the New York Times or USA Today bestseller list. This is your chance to shout out about a book that might not have been noticed by others.
I first noticed Claire Legrand's name when she did a guest post for this year's WriteOnCon titled Differences Between YA and MG (for the Writer Who Does Both).  Then I began to frequently notice the cover of THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS pop up on a several blogs. The cover is eye-catching in an old school vintage sort of way. The comforting design makes me think of the books I used to find left behind on a desk at the library when I was a child. I would pick up one such book and read the inside flap, and the next thing you know, I'd be reading this at home with a mug of warm soup on the coffee table beside me. Yeah, that kind of book.

So after noticing this book on a variety of occasions and skimming over its synopsis (it sounds deliciously dark), I ordered it from Amazon. The book arrived last week! 

Has anyone already read this book? Please, no spoilers! =)
Claire Legrand, if you happen to stumble upon this post, leave a comment to say hello!

(Update 8:45 PM on 10/16: I really thought I'd put my blog on Alex's blog hop, but as I was going through the list just now, I didn't see my blog on the list. So I added it.)

22 comments:

Ella said...

oooh, this sounds good! Nothing like getting lost in a good book ;D Thanks for sharing!

Kyra Lennon said...

That is definitely an eye-catching cover!

S.P. Bowers said...

I've heard a lot of things about this book and it's definitely high on the TBR list.

Elise Fallson said...

Oh, this looks like something my kids and I would love to read together. Thanks for sharing, off to add this one to my to read list! Also, thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting, happy to follow you back (:

~Sia McKye~ said...

New to me, but I know several young readers to pass it along to.

Isis Rushdan said...

I haven't heard of this one. The cover did catch my attention.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I've heard of this book before and I too was captivated by the cover. Nice pick.

Stephen Tremp said...

This is the first time I've heard of this book. I htink the Harry Potter series has renewed intrerest in these genres.

Brinda said...

I haven't seen this one before, but the vintage looking cover does make it stand out. Great pick!

Livia said...

I might've heard of this one before around the blogosphere. I read too many blogs to even know.

Great cover and looks interesting. I should check this one out! :)

KatieO said...

This book is new to me - as is your blog! SO happy to have "met" you today with this blogfest ;-)

Lexa Cain said...

I'm also completely fascinated by this book, which sounds like the perfect blend of quirky character and dark plot. I hope you enjoy it and write a review of it so I know if it's as good as it looks! :-)

Lynda R Young said...

I haven't read this book, but I agree, the cover is great!

Michael Pierce said...

I hadn't heard of this book before, but it sounds interesting, and the cover is great!

Ciara said...

I've never heard of this book. Thanks for sharing it. Oh, I'm so glad you added your blog. I just saw it at the end of the list this morning. Thanks for participating in the DINYB Blog Fest

C.M.Brown said...

I agree it has an interesting cover! I hope you enjoy reading it!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're there now!
Thanks for participating in our blogfest.

Tara Tyler said...

i love the simple yet mysterious cover! looking forward to your review!

michelle said...

Great "old-fashioned" cover design...

J.L. Campbell said...

I like books where the font is easily read, so this is cool like that.

Tammy Theriault said...

I like the cover, very nice! Thanks for the recommendation!

Cynthia said...

Thanks for commenting, everyone!

Post a Comment