Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Roseanne Tries to Write a Book

Roseanne was one of my favorite sit-coms growing up. In one episode, Roseanne reveals she once dreamt of being a writer before her real life set in. On her birthday, Roseanne gets what she wants- free time and a place to write. And then she gets writer's block. 

Roseanne laments, "I get some good idea but as soon as I write it down, it turns out stupid."  Anyone else ever feel this way about their writing? I say, write freely even if you're experiencing self-doubt.  You might read what you wrote later and realize it isn't so bad. And if it is that bad, that's what revising is for.

Cut into three parts, the entire episode of "Happy Birthday" is posted below. Writers, can you relate to any of the stuff shown here?





6 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

I didn't watch it yet but, yes! Often I have this great idea but when it comes time to put it on paper, it just doesn't sound so good anymore. The trick is knowing which ideas will translate into a full blown story, and knowing how to take the garbage that comes with the first draft and turning it into something beautiful.

Mina Burrows said...

I think we've all been there, huh. Cute post.

Laurie Dennison said...

Lol, it is hard to write when you know most of it will end up being cut out, especially in the beginning. Thanks for this post, and thanks for stopping by my blog! (Did the Rafflecopter come up for you? It doesn't have you listed in the entries, and I wanted to make sure everyone had a chance.)

Alleged Author said...

Ha! I did love that show so much.

J. A. Bennett said...

Funny how relateable it all is. How often do we doubt ourselves? If we just gave up we wouldn't be here. Great post!

Cynthia said...

S.P.: There is a lot of magic that comes with good revisions.

Mina: That's for sure!

Laurie: Sometimes cutting stuff out is hard, but it's part of the process. Good luck with your contest!

Alleged Author: It was a great show.

J.A.: I think self-doubt is also part of the process.

Post a Comment