Sunday, September 16, 2012

Genre Favorites Blogfest

It's Alex's Genre Favorites Blogfest. The instructions: List your favorite genre of movie, music, books, and a guilty pleasure from any of the three categories. 

This might sound like an easy thing to do but I go through phases. So I might be really into something today, but be so over it a few years from now. For this blogfest, I thought long and hard about things I have consistently liked through the years. I have too many guilty pleasures to name so instead of naming just one, I thought of one for each category.

Favorite genre of movies: Suspense thrillers, super heroes, dark comedies, and an occasional period piece...I like movies about people with unconventional ambitions.

A guilty pleasure: Movies with a twist at the end (e.g. Identity)

Favorite genre of music: Alternative, punk rock, instrumentals, movie scores, Asian pop, and Zumba music... Before I got pregnant with my second child, I did Zumba regularly.  I'm no Shakira but I still enjoy shaking it to Kumbia All Starz' "Chiquilla" and other fun Latin dance tunes. 
A guilty pleasure: Old school slow songs (e.g. Boys II Men)

Favorite genre of books: This is a really hard one- I read all kinds of books, so it's hard to name just one genre, or even a few of my faves. In general, I like books about people overcoming adversity and underdogs getting their day in the sun.
A guilty pleasure: Comic books (e.g. Archie)

I'd leave you dancing to Kumbia All Starz' "Chiquilla." Chiquilla is slang for "little girl" in Spanish, in case you were wondering.



Feel free to dish on your faves.


29 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

Zumba music is fab! It's so high energy and funky!

Tara Tyler said...

awesome movie genres and quite a range on the music!
archie! fabulous!

David P. King said...

nice! It's so cool getting to read about everyone's favorite genres. Hooray for Super Hero movie love! :)

Jocelyn Rish said...

I love movies with a great twist at the end, too. I've read/watched so many that I'm tough to fool, so any movie that surprises me gets extra bonus points. And, yep, I was completely shocked by Identity.

I enjoyed reading about your favorite genres,
Jocelyn

Lynn Proctor said...

i think i like dramas the best and the old kind of scary movies--i hate gore! great post:)

Nancy Thompson said...

Thrillers are my favorite, too. That's why I wrote one. :)

Sherry Ellis said...

Zumba music is awesome. Good choice!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You do like a variety of music!
Thanks for participating in my blogfest.

Jeremy [HWR Curator] said...

you and i share so much from film to music... i think i am now your biggest fan, not talking "misery"... or am i...

Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

Gina Gao said...

I love comic books (especially DC or Marvel)! I really liked this list.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Lionel said...

I love Archie comic books. When I was younger I didn't read books like my brothers and my parents worried. I devoured Archie, Beetle Bailey and Sad Sack comics though. I think comics are a great thing to read. At least it's reading right? Great post. Have a great night:)

Paul R. Hewlett

Nicole said...

Underdogs winning the day usually makes for a fantastic read!

Emily R. King said...

What a great song! How had I not heard it before now?

Mina Burrows said...

I know what you mean about shak'n it. My husband's Colombian so we know the Latin thing. Tumba la casa, baby! :)

Jay Noel said...

Got the same guilty pleasure. Hell, I was singing to Boys II Men just the other day. Motownphilly baby!

Jeremy Bates said...

Of course I like suspense, I write it! lol As for dark comedies, I like them. Did you ever see "1941?" That was cool. It went over the heads of many and was never the success some thought it should be.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Yes, I like movies with a good twist as well. I always think of Psycho as the classic.

Siv Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Siv Maria said...

Sorry about that, my brain is spelling retarted today....Everyone loves an underdog who gets his day in the sun :)

J.C. Martin said...

Always wanted to try Zumba. Might give it a go after pregnancy to shed the pounds!

And yeah, love the smooth velvety tones of Boyz II Men, All-4-One, etc.!

C.M.Brown said...

Lots of similar choices to me. My sister used to love Archie comics!

LD Masterson said...

I like your choices but love the mention of Archie comics. I haven't read one of those in decades.

Susan Roebuck said...

Well, that video certainly cheered me up - thank you! It's really hard to pick genres, I think, but you picked some good ones

Kimberly Gabriel said...

I used to love Boyz II Men! And I agree - it was very hard to narrow it down!

Mark Koopmans said...

I am sincerely impressed with *anyone* who can Zumba, as I tried it once and made several people (including my wife) pee with laughter... sure I can write, but dance.... uh, no :)

PS... One shall be kept informed as to the mysterious Blogfest :)

Misha Gericke said...

Oh yay! I was so glad to see your comment on my blog the other day. Welcome back. :-)

Would LOVE to try Zumba again, although I'd probably go back to my beloved ballroom and latin dancing before I do.

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hello, Cynthia. It's cool to meet you. Bay Area, huh? You can't see me, but I'm waving at you now from the Fresno area. Kingsburg to be exact.
It seems like you and I share much the same tastes in movies, as well as being neighbors.
Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend.

-Jimmy
http://jamesgarciajr.blogspot.com/

Shannon Lawrence said...

I love a good twist, but it has to be a good one. If I see it coming, it's no twist. Also, I love Zumba!

My Genre Favorites & Guilty Pleasures

Cynthia said...

Thanks for commenting, everyone! It was fun learning more about you during this blogfest.

Post a Comment