Wednesday, August 15, 2012

WriteOnCon 2012 Highlights

Once I saw the schedule for this year's WriteOnCon, I had this mental itinerary of all the live chats and forum events I was going to participate in. But my baby has been going through a growth spurt these past couple of days so I've been more busy with the nursing than usual. Therefore I didn't participate in all the live events and I didn't get to submit anything in the critique forum...but still, I feel grateful for the experience of doing WriteOnCon again this year.
  
The events I checked out included:

Picture Book Query Critiques with Emma Walton Hamilton: Last year, I submitted a query for Emma to comment on, and she gave such useful feedback that I'd wanted to post another query for her to review. But I couldn't get my query in the tip-top shape I wanted it to be before the submission deadline. Still, I'm learning a lot by going through other people's queries and reading Emma's comments for them (e.g. ALWAYS proofread your queries, NEVER use the word "quiet" to describe a book, and keep things simple.)  

Back to Basics: Avoid the Fines, Fix your Lines by the Meter Maids: Authors Corey Rosen Schwartz and Tiffany Strelitz Haber share ways to fix broken meter. I've fantasized about writing a picture book in rhyme someday...

Literary Agent Daniel Lazar Talks All Things Publishing: Daniel offers insights on his agent-ing style and some advice to writers. 

Differences Between YA and MG (for the Writer Who Does Both): Author Claire Legrand distinguishes between YA and MG by shedding light on how a MG character's world is smaller than the YA character's world. A MG character asks What is my place in my own world? A YA character asks What is my place in the larger world?

LIVE EVENT: Panel of Pros – Agents Mollie Glick, Cheryl Pientka, and Emily Keyes & Editor Sarah Barley: I've been thinking about stories set immediately after high school and was wondering if there will be a legitimate market for the new adult genre, also known as NA. So I asked the industry professionals a question about that....and I will share their responses next week when I post my thoughts about the new adult genre. (Or you can just click on the link and see what how the industry professionals responded.)

Writing Tips from The Lucky 13s – Kidlit Authors Debuting in 2013: For any unpublished writer who needs some words of encouragement, visit this link and you'd get some solid writing advice from thirteen authors whose books are coming out next year.

LIVE EVENT: Panel of Pros- Literary agents Katie Grimm and Sarah LaPolla & Editors Sara Sargent and Alison Weiss: I asked a question about what agents and editors want to see on the first page of a YA or MG book and the overwhelming response was voice. The industry professionals also mentioned that first lines and a sense of character are important.

I'm sooo looking forward to WriteOnCon 2013.  

Did you participate in this year's WriteOnCon? If so, what did you think of the experience?

7 comments:

S.P. Bowers said...

Thanks for the overview. I couldn't participate due to the demands of children but I'm hoping to next year.

Sher A. Hart said...

I did as you already know from my blog (and I replied to your comment). But I did the exact opposite of you and only participated in two live chats because I was so busy in the critique forums. I had the burning question of maximum word count for MT answered by Jen Rofe and ? (I forget the editor's name) and it's much higher than a few years ago. That makes me so happy! Now I can add back the voice I lost trying to cut every unnecessary word.

Sher A. Hart said...

Typo! I meant word count for MG, middle grade.

Rose Munevar said...

That looks like some great info., but you've got your priorities straight taking care of the baby first. Enjoy those tender moments! My baby starts kindergarten on Monday!

Gina C said...

i participated as much as i could, and now i have a whole bunch of links bookmarked to check out when i have time. such a wonderful conference!! but slightly overwhelming all the same :)

Nick Wilford said...

It sounds awesome. I didn't take part because I was away for some of it, and it's aimed at YA, but I guess much of the advice would apply to any genre. Besides, I'm aiming for YA or MG for NaNo this year, so I'll do it next year!

Cynthia said...

S.P.: There's always next year. =)

Sher: It's always hard to cut stuff that we spent so much time laboring over.

Rose: I hope your daughter has been enjoying kindergarten so far. How exciting!

Gina: There was certainly a lot to take in. Thank goodness we have bookmarks.

Nick: Good luck with doing NaNoWriMo!

Post a Comment