Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Unusual Ideas

Don't be afraid to share unusual ideas in your writing.In publishing, there's no such thing as an idea that's too unusual.

Many years ago, I attended a writers event where an industry professional shared there was an odd, growing interest in books on paranormal romance- stories about everyday people hooking up with paranormal creatures. Some audience members responded  with skepticism. Paranormal romance? Who would read this sort of thing? You must be kidding.

Now that we've seen the big-time success of several paranormal romances, some of the people who had scoffed at the idea of there being such a genre  might wish they hadn't passed their judgment so prematurely.

Just because someone, even a fellow writer, doesn't get something you're doing, it doesn't mean that the publishing industry won't either. Don't let those who dismiss your ideas as being too weird or "out there" keep you from letting your story spill out.   

Have you ever been hindered or discouraged by how others have reacted or might react to an unusual idea you have for a story?

12 comments:

Lynda R Young said...

Yep. I think every writer comes across this at some point (usually in the early days). I think it takes a while to build up the courage to write those stories that come from deep inside. I also think that's why we need to surround ourselves with supportive people.

Julie Dao said...

Great post! What's strange today may be a big seller tomorrow :) I mostly write fairy tale retellings, which puts a lot of people off if they think it's childish or unoriginal. Like Lynda said, I try to surround myself with those who are supportive and willing to give my writing a try before they judge.

Mina Burrows said...

Thanks for this post. I tend to have very unusual ideas and it makes me think about Dr. Seusss quote: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Shelley Sly said...

My story ideas tend to be out of the ordinary. I don't write to trends (though I don't try to be different either; I just write what I want, and it usually ends up being something unusual.) You make a great point!

Nick Wilford said...

I think you have to write what's true to you. Other people might not like it but it's a shame if they're put off by an unusual idea, before they actually get to the writing.

Beth Camp said...

Interesting post. I've learned not to share my writing until it reaches a certain point and that not every reader or editor likes my stuff. I don't submit my work easily or often, but I will persevere. Write on!

Vicki Tremper said...

Great advice, Cynthia! Believe in your idea and keep trying.

Joy Ciaffoni said...

Great post. I believe this is true in all of life. Why be a lemming?

Lynn Proctor said...

if i had depended on others interest in my writing, i guess i wouldn't be doing it

S.P. Bowers said...

Lol. I probably would have been skeptical too. It took my sister-in-law a loooong time to convince me to read a paranormal romance.

I do believe in write what you're passionate about. It makes for a truer story. And it is the story that is true, that people can feel and believe in that they love.

Jenny said...

Everyone has an opinion. Fortunately, mine is always right :-)

Cynthia said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everyone! It's important for us to be true to ourselves as artists, and that was part of my motivation behind this post.

Post a Comment