Wednesday, April 18, 2012

National Poetry Month: Shel Silverstein

P is the letter of the day for the Blogging A to Z Challenge. So it makes sense to announce that April is National Poetry Month. What better way to celebrate verse and lyrical bliss than to spotlight one of my favorite kidlit poets- the late Shel Silverstein, author and illustrator of poetry collections such as WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS and A LIGHT IN THE ATTIC. Shel Silverstein's humor used to poke me into chuckles, the kind you'd get while slurping juice, and then you're laughing so hard that you choke and your drink shoots out your nose. (Hey, that could be the subject for a poem right there!)

Here's an animated  Youtube clip of Shel Silverstein reading one of his poems, "Ickle Me, Pickle, Me, Tickle Me too"  from WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS.



 

6 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Love Shel Silverstein. I used to read those poetry books when I was young over and over.

kmckendry said...

I love Shel Silverstein!

Clarissa Draper said...

This man's book of poetry is one of the best on the planet. I read it as a kid and like it still.

Mina Burrows said...

My best friend likes to write poems like Shel. Love them both. Great post.

Vicki Tremper said...

My almost-9-year-old just discovered Shel Silverstein when a relative gave him Falling Up last week. He has already read it all the way through and was so excited to read me his favorite poems. That is power!

Lynn Proctor said...

pretty amazing and touching

Post a Comment