Thursday, April 12, 2012

My Kryptonite

When Superman was around kryptonite, his superpowers would take a nosedive. I believe most writers and artists have to deal with "kryptonite" at some time. Our kryptonite would be something that would lead us to a moment of weakness and interfere with our ability to work to our fullest and most uninhibited potential. When a writer or artist becomes inhibited and discouraged, the source of the kryptonite must be located. 

My kryptonite often leads to this thread of destructive thinking: What if all this work I do is for nothing? Sometimes when my family is in bed and the whole world seems to be asleep and I'm still up at my laptop writing past 2 a.m., I would wonder if I'm  just wasting my time. Once I start thinking this, my gung-ho writer's spunk goes on break.

But like the times Superman had overcome the weakening effects of the kryptonite, I also have come to remedy my ego-sinking thought patterns by reminding myself what I know to be true: Most published writers started out the same way as me. Unaware of what their future held, they would plow away into the wee hours of the early morning and simply hope for the best.

So I would send the krytonite down the garbage disposal and keep on writing.

Writers and artists, what is the source of your krytonite? Is it something internal, such as a way of thinking? Or does your kryptonite come from external sources, such as other people? Tell me how you handle your kryptonite.  

16 comments:

Nick Wilford said...

Great post!

Like yourself, it's self-doubt really. I wonder if my stuff is any good. But even if it never comes to anythng, I'm still doing what I love - that's what it's all about really isn't it?

Lynn Proctor said...

i don't know--maybe it is some, the encouragement i am receiving maybe just the push i needed!

C.M.Brown said...

Hard one, I have just tried to write a comment 3 times now. I just don't know!

Journaling Woman said...

"ego-sinking thought patterns" are the worst. I fight negative thoughts constantly.

Great post.

Teresa

Lydia Kang said...

I think you nailed it. All of us writer share that kryptonite, I think.

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and so glad I found yours. I love the title of your blog. Brilliant!

icedgurl said...

trekking your blog!!! doesn't matter if i sleep past 2am. as long as i love what i'm doing!

cheers!
..TREK..

Sharkbytes said...

Ah... my kryptonite. There certainly is one, I'm not sure I've identified what it is yet. I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

Cynthia said...

Nick- Writing's true reward does come in the process of the journey.

Lynn- Encouragement always helps.

C.M.- No worries. If you want to comment on this again, feel free to do so.

Journaling Woman- Negative thinking can indeed be very draining.

Lydia- Thanks for commenting, and for stopping by!

Icedgurl- It's important to love what you're doing.

Sharkbytes- Good luck with visiting all the A to Z blogs!

Sarah Pearson said...

Oh yes, that nasty little sliver of doubt who tells me I'm wasting my time. I squash him down, because even if I am wasting my time, I'm enjoying myself doing it :-)

Paula Martin said...

My kryptonite is being too easily distracted e.g. by Facebook and Twitter!

Mina Burrows said...

I do this too. You're not alone. I'm sending you positive vibes. Keep them for when you need them. :)

Jay Noel said...

After 12 years of rejection, I don't really know how the heck I got through it. I guess I just kept plugging away - maybe being self-delusional has its positives!

Jeremy Bates said...

Since I am not Superman, I have no weakness for krytonite. lol Seriously though, I can become distracted by research which leads me astray and time wasted on the Internet.

Arlee Bird said...

This really hits home. I have a whole collection of destructive rocks.


Lee
A Few Words
An A to Z Co-host blog

Cynthia said...

Sarah- It's nice to squash down negativity, isn't it?

Paula- I agree that the Internet can be distracting sometimes, but I have so much fun on my blog though!

Mina- Thanks for the positive vibes!

Jay- Your persistence is very inspiring to me.

Jeremy- If the research is for your writing, then you're just doing "homework," right?

Lee- Thanks for visiting. I bet we're not the only ones with our "rocks."

Kern Windwraith said...

Great thought-provoking post. I think my kryptonite is that hard-to-kick "niceness" that sneaks into my head and nudges me to put other people's priorities ahead of my own. I wrestle with it...and sometimes I win. :)

I'm enjoying your blog--will drop by again during (and after) the challenge.

Post a Comment