Friday, April 13, 2012

Learning with Kidlit: A New Sibling or New Baby

I'm expecting a baby.  I'm officially announcing here that I'm in my third trimester right now and my due date is next month. (And I'm super hoping the baby doesn't come too early because I want to finish up the Blogging A to Z  Challenge!!) 

Learning with Kidlit is an occasional feature I write to share books I've read covering certain topics. This month, I'm sharing some kidlit books about having a new baby in the house. I've been reading up on children's books about new babies, while sharing a few of the titles below with my daughter:


BRAND-NEW BABY BLUES by Kathi Appelt, Illust. by Kelly Murphy (Picture book- HarperCollins) In this rhyming book, a girl is jealous of the attention her new baby brother is receiving.





 

 

IRIS AND WALTER AND BABY ROSE by Elissa Haden Guest, Illust. by Christine Davenier (Early reader- Harcourt) Iris is annoyed with her new sister's fussiness.






 


PRIME BABY by Gene Luen Yang (Graphic novel for Middle Grade-First Second) A boy's new baby sister is connected to the alien world.


THE BOSS BABY by Marla Frazee (Picture book-Beach Lane) The new CEO of the  household throws tantrums when he doesn't get attention.






 
THE BERENSTAIN BEARS' NEW BABY by Stan & Jan Berenstain (Picture Book-Random House) Published in 1974, this book is about Small Bear moving on from his baby bed to a bigger bed, right at the same time his little sister joins the family. (Jan Berenstain, who passed away recently, will be greatly missed.)   




Any other expectant parents out there?  Any other kidlit recommendations on this topic?

12 comments:

Lynda R Young said...

hehe, I love the cover for the Baby Boss.

Nikki said...

Aww, congratulations :) I love children's books so much.
Thank you for your nice comment, have a lovely weekend!

Nikki – inspire nordic

Mina Burrows said...

I think I should print our The Baby Boss and put my daughter's picture there. LOL!

Nick Wilford said...

Congratulations!

The Baby Boss looks very funny to me too. They definitely take over everything! The alien baby one sounds cool as well.

Kern Windwraith said...

These brought back some very fond memories. I only have one child, but when she was a wee one she used to love books about new babies--perhaps she was trying to tell me something! One of our particular favourites was Fred Rogers (aka Mr. Rogers) "The New Baby." It's still available, I believe, and well worth checking out--lovely photographs and very insightful.

Lynn Proctor said...

i am so happy for you!!!! those are great books!

Misha Gericke said...

Ooh wow! I hope everything goes well. :-)

Cynthia said...

Lynda- I like that cover too.

Nikki- Thanks, Nikki.

Mina- That would be fun to see.

Nick- Thanks, Nick. Yes, babies do take over everything!

Kern- Thanks for the book recommendation.

Lynn- Thanks, Lynn.

Misha- Thanks, Misha.

Daisy Carter said...

Congratulations! I would've suggested the Berenstain Bears book. Sorry I don't know more!

Jennifer R. Hubbard said...

Congratulations!

Sarah Pearson said...

Oh this is brilliant news. I'm so happy for you :-)

Cynthia said...

Daisy- Thanks, Daisy.

Jennifer- Thanks, Jennifer.

Sarah- Thanks, Sarah.

Post a Comment