Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Rachael Harrie's First Campaigner Challenge (for the Fourth Campaign)

Here are the instructions for Rachael Harrie's first campaigner challenge copied and pasted straight from her blog:

Write a short story/flash fiction story in 200 words or less, excluding the title. It can be in any format, including a poem. Begin the story with the words, “Shadows crept across the wall”. These five words will be included in the word count. 
If you want to give yourself an added challenge (optional), do one or more of these:
·         end the story with the words: "everything faded." (also included in the word count)
·         include the word "orange" in the story
·         write in the same genre you normally write
·         make your story 200 words exactly!

So I began and ended SPITFIRE with the language provided, my story is exactly 200 words, and I worked “orange” in there somewhere. I haven’t nailed the genre that I “normally” write in yet. For the time being, I have been working on projects focusing on magical realism and fantasy, and this story reflects that.
_______________________________________________________________________________

 SPITFIRE

 Shadows crept across the wall inside the bank as the men grabbed the money lying 
 out. Something hot tingled inside Elle’s chest as she knelt with her co-workers, their 
 hands and feet bound.

 “Take us to the vault.” Goatee cut Elle’s rope and yanked her from the ground.

 With the barrel of Neck Tattoo’s gun poking her back and the stench of Goatee’s  
 alcohol and cigarette breath stinging her nose, Elle led the two men downstairs and 
 unlocked the vault.

 “Get on the floor, bitch,” Neck Tattoo ordered.

 “Better watch your mouth,” Elle spat back.

 Neck Tattoo lifted his gun. “Let’s see who’s in charge.”

 Summoning the strength in her lungs, Elle hacked a cannon ball of orange fire straight 
 into Neck Tattoo’s chest. As his dying, gurgling screams filled the sound-proofed room,   
 Elle swiftly picked up the gun he dropped and shot Goatee in the temple.

 There would be no witnesses.

  After willing the flames to snuff out, Elle took a lighter and flask from Goatee’s coat and 
 dropped them next to the dead men.  Her story would be simple- one man got greedy.

 Before returning upstairs, Elle remembered to wipe her prints from the gun until
 everything faded. 
_______________________________________________________________________

 You can read the rest of the entries by clicking here. Feel free to "like" my story on  
 Rachael's Linky List- I am #124.

47 comments:

Jess said...

Ooh very cool! She can shoot fire!? That's awesome! Love your take on the challenge! Great job :)
Following along!

I'm entry #19

Bess Weatherby said...

Whoa. I was not expecting her to spit fireballs. Nice twist! And I like how you used "Goatee" and "Neck Tattoo" to describe the robbers. Quick and effective.

Humpty Dumpty said...

I love a strong female character. Shooting flames from her mouth? I did not see that coming. Well done!

Jaye Viner said...

hacked a cannonball of fire...now there's something I don't think about every day. Now feeling a bit jealous that I don't have the same abilities.

Laurie Buchanan said...

Ohhhhhhhh, now THAT'S a great twist! Ya gotta love it!

Laurie Buchanan, entry #92

David P. King said...

Kudos for such an intense scene. Nice one! :)

Juliemybird said...

I like your take on this. At first I was like, "Why isn't she scared?" Haha. I got my answer.

Marieke said...

Ooh, fun! Loved that!

Cortney Pearson said...

Nice take on this! Very fun!!

J.C. Martin said...

Cool take on the prompt! I like how she used key descriptions to name the robbers.

Christy Farmer said...

Very creative! Nice take on a bank heist! :-) I'm #61.

Ann Cory said...

Unique and packed with action - very nice! I liked it :)

Ashley Nixon said...

haha. My neighbors once had a goat named goatee.

Anyway, very cool story!! I'm glad a female took down two huge, rude and evil men!

Mina Burrows said...

Excellent original take on the challenge. Loved it... Wonderful job.

theaccidentalnovelist said...

ooh, nice twist. i love that she "hacks" a fireball death loogie. lol.

Alyssa said...

Woah! I wasn't expecting that she could spit fire! Nice job! :)

I'm #37

Kitty said...

Cool! Firespitting badass chick! I love it! And I like how you worked in the "everything faded" at the end.

Jay Noel said...

Damnity damn damn. Love Ms. Elle Spitfire. Great job Cynthia. Love your blog, so I had to follow.

Cynthia said...

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I'm still making my way through the stories and am enjoying what I'm seeing!

Kerri Cuev said...

Unique entry. Great job and fantastic ending!

akoss said...

Woot! That was hot. No wonder she wasn't afraid of them. I liked how you gave a hint about Elle's powers in the beginning without making it obvious.
Because I liked it so much I had to click on that "like" button. ;)

Cynthia said...

Thanks, Akoss!!

bridget said...

Well I guess in this case there is something to be said for vigilante justice! Mine is #71

Erin Shakespear said...

I love your take on this! Great job. :)

Daisy Carter said...

Holy crow, Batman - did NOT see that coming! Awesome! Thanks for following me. I love your blog title! Looking forward to more great posts!

Rachel Morgan said...

Ooh, I love special abilities that involve fire!

Honey said...

Very cool! I love a strong female heroine:)

Amber Clites said...

Ooh, I love a girl who can wield fire. I have an MC of my own with that ability! Love the story, and I want to know more! Check me out #82.

Laurie Dennison said...

I love those character nicknames! Very nice!

Arlee Bird said...

Whoa, those guys messed with the wrong lady. Nice superpower to have. I also liked the nicknames--made the characters easy to visualize without having descriptions.


Lee (#126 on the Campaign Challenge List)
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Arlee Bird said...

Returning the follow. Thank you!


Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out
Twitter: @AprilA2Z
#atozchallenge

Cynthia said...

You're welcome, Arlee!

alexia said...

Cool! Is she a human with special powers, or actually a dragon shifter or something? Good job.

Cynthia said...

I appreciate the comments about my story, everyone! =)

Alexia- She is a human with special powers...for now!

Sher A. Hart said...

Cool story! Wait, that's not right. Hot story! I like they names she gave the bag guys.

Mine is a prolog for my book, # 148. That's my next to last post, but you should also check my latest post. Tag, you're it!

Sarah Pearson said...

Sorry I'm late! I really really like this.I was not expecting her to do that!

Misha Gericke said...

That's a pretty awesome entry. Well done. :-)

Traci Kenworth said...

Nice twist.

Nick Wilford said...

Wow, that was full of action and a very unexpected twist. I like the little clue you planted, but didn't see a fireball coming. I wonder if she has any other powers - this could be part of a bigger "superhero" story.

tinadchayes said...

This would be great expanded into a longer short story. I enjoyed the read! Good luck in the challenge.

Ainsley Shay said...

Great twist!!

Jodi Su said...

Zinga! Wow, that surprised me...love the names of the characters, too...really sets the tone!

Elizabeth Twist said...

"Summoning the strength in her lungs, Elle hacked a cannon ball of orange fire straight into Neck Tattoo’s chest."

Where do I learn how to do this?

clarbojahn said...

Great take on the challenge! Love your characters. I wrote a children's story "don't eat my toes, ok?" #181

C.M.Brown said...

Interesting twist!

Chemist Ken said...

A very nice entry. Sounds like the start of an X-Files or Fringe episode.

Welcome from a fellow campaigner!

S.P. Bowers said...

Nice story! Loved the surprise.

Post a Comment