Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to all you writers and readers and artists and supporters of my blog! I hope the dawn of 2012 is treating you well. I actually do take some time to think of New Year resolutions for myself each year. Of course, whether or not I actually meet them is a different story. But here are a few of my many goals for this year. To narrow things down, these resolutions are related to my life as a writer:

1. Finish up my revision for my YA WIP.
2. Tighten up my characters.
3. Write a first draft- and it could be the lamest first draft ever- for this PB idea I have.
4. Write an outline-and it could be the lamest outline ever- for this other novel idea I have.
5. Continue to read when I have time. (There are some personal reasons as to why I haven't had the time to read as much lately, as reflected in the MIA "What I Read" posts from the last two months.)
6.  Appreciate the wait.

My last resolution is actually something that reflects a change of attitude I've experienced in the last year. In the past, I would naively think that if I work hard enough or want it bad enough, I'll get it....soon enough. But in the last year and a half, I've attended enough writer conferences and workshops to understand there are many many hard-working writers and artists who are extremely talented waiting to get published. But for some reason, it just hasn't happened for them yet. But they keep plowing away nonetheless.

So on days when I'm feeling tired, I remind myself everything happens for a reason. Perhaps the universe is trying to shield me from jumping prematurely into something that I'm actually not prepared for at this moment. Perhaps what I need is time-time to further develop my writing, time to learn more about the craft, and time to accept that it's okay to be the newbie and beginner that I am. I can also use this time, what little of it I have, to build myself in other ways too. That is a separate resolution list.

If anyone has any resolutions, writing or non-writing related,feel free to share.

0 comments:

Post a Comment