Monday, September 26, 2011

Writing Kidlit: When the Going Gets Rough...

An author's recent blog post prompted readers to share what they do when they are feeling discouraged as they attempt to navigate through the kidlit industy. My responding comment was that I think about how lucky I am to have the resources accessible to me so I can pursue a career in kidlit writing (even if I might end up not getting published).  

Let me elaborate on the things I have that I'm grateful for:

1.
My dear husband and daughter
2. My ideas
3. My laptop
4. My life experiences 
5. My super cool and supportive writer friends 
6. My super cool and supportive non-writer friends
7. Opportunities to attend selected kidlit writing events, such as workshops and conferences
8. Access to local bookstores (though with Borders shutting down, that access has been compromised a bit)
9. Access to the local library
10. Access to the Internet (though that can sometimes impede on the writing process more than help it along)
11. Access to the time I can scrape together at the end of each day to write in private

I don't take the stuff I listed above for granted because I know what it's like to not have some of these things. For example, I remember what my life as a writer was like before I had "writer friends," and I can definitely say I prefer a life with writer friends than one without.

So on days when I'm feeling discouraged over the whole kidlit writing thing, I remind myself that I'm very fortunate to have the resources to embark on a career in kidlit writing in the first place.

2 comments:

brookerousseau said...

It's so important to remember the good stuff, because writing is hard and getting published is hard. Hang in there!

Cynthia said...

Yes, the kidlit industry is tough. Thanks for the support, Brooke.

Post a Comment