Friday, August 19, 2011

Fess Up Friday: I'm Giving Twitter Another Shot

At WriteOnCon, the importance of establishing an online presence was a recurring topic in some of the live chats with industry professionals. Back in March, I learned the significance of an online presence at the Big Sur Children's Writers Workshop, which was why I took a GIANT leap to put myself out there as a writer and started this blog. 

A few of the agents at WriteOnCon referred us attendees to their Twitter accounts. I had a Twitter account awhile ago, but I ended up deleting it because (and now I'm dropping my voice) I didn't know how to work the functions. Like someone would leave a note for me and I wouldn't know what to do. Seriously. Another reason I did away with my old Twitter account was because (and I'm whispering again) I simply couldn't think of anything to post. That's right- me, a writer not knowing what to write. I mean, I doubt the world is sitting at the edge of its seat waiting to hear about what I had for lunch,  how my trip to the DMV went,  what I dreamt last night, or what I think of today's weather....unless there's a  tornado going on outside my window and in that case, I'd have bigger things to worry about than logging in to tweet about my house getting uprooted from the ground.

Anyhoo, I decided to start a new Twitter account today. It took me a solid ten minutes to do my first post. I also "followed" some industry professionals. I haven't posted a picture yet so right now, I'm the Shadowy Faceless Egg Follower (let's play  Sting's "Every Breath You Take" for this post's soundtrack). I have a hunch that I'd spend more time reading people's updates than posting up a storm for the time being. But I'll post my Twitter addy  here once I've built up some momentum. 

2 comments:

Corey Schwartz said...

I have a very hard time with Twitter too! I keep trying, but I don't seem to get the hang of it.

It does help though.. if you follow a few people that you know through other avenues (i.e. blogging) I am more likely to respond to a friend's tweet than a total stranger's

Cynthia said...

Corey, thanks for the advice. I just followed you on my newbie Twitter account. And by the way, I enjoyed reading you and Tiffany Strelitz Haber's Shakeover Makeover piece on WriteOnCon. Great examples.

Post a Comment