Monday, July 18, 2011

Borders is Shutting Down Remaining Stores

I just read in an article that Borders is closing the rest of its stores for good. I'm sad for the 400 stores that are going to be shut down and my heart goes out to the 11,000  people who will lose their jobs. There's not a whole lot more I can say about this other than that this is a huge and unfortunate loss for many people. =(

UPDATE (7/23/11):  Today I went to my local Borders  store to pick up some books during their liquidation sale. While I picked up some good reads, I was less pleased to see how unwanted books were treated as depicted in this snapshot I took:
Yes, I get people want to snatch up some bargain buys before Borders' doors close for good. But seeing books being dumped like this makes me feel kinda sad. Sad for the authors who wrote the books, sad for the people who have to clean this up, and sad for the way some people treat vessels of the written word.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh wow, that is IS sad.

Cynthia said...

Carrie, yes it's very unfortunate.

Post a Comment